Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Rent Increases?

Guest Guest

My apartment complex was bought out by someone else than who I originally signed my lease with and I was told my lease was bought out also. Well, I got a 30 day letter saying my rent would be increased in the middle of my lease term. Is this legal? Don't they have to wait until my lease is up before they can increase my rent?

Sarah Sager

Toledo, Ohio

"Well, I got a 30 day letter saying my rent would be increased in the middle of my lease term. Is this legal?"

Is it legal to send the letter? Sure. Can they successfully raise the rent in the middle of your lease term? No.

"Don't they have to wait until my lease is up before they can increase my rent?"

Yep (unless there is something odd about your lease, which I presume you've read and it doesn't mention anything about your agreeing that in the event of a sale that your lease is, say, converted to a month-to-month lease).

I suggest you *write* to the new owner and approach it from a friendly, you-must-have-me-confused-with-a-month-to-month tenant type of standpoint, referring to my lease which expires at the end of whenever, etc.

Sign in to follow this