Sign in to follow this  
wanttowork

returning to work

i fell at work in '07. have been on off work on workcomp since '08. have had 3 surgeries. just recently settled with workcomp. went to work and ask to be put back to work. they said "but you settled with workcomp" that is true. i told attorneys i wanted to go back to work. they said that is fine. my employer said they would see what i need to return and get back with me at weeks end last week. so my question is: is my employer obligated to put me back to work? what steps should i take to expidite this? if they don't put me back to work after my expressing wanting to return then what? i'm not going to qiut voluntarily. would i then be fired?? just wanting to go back to work and get on with my life that has been put on hold for several years. i live in oklahoma. thank you!

Unless your settlement agreement stipulates that the employer is required to hire you back (extremely rare and in fact, it is far more common for the settlement to sever the employment relationship)they owe you nothing. if you don't know the terms of your agreement, ask your attorney. If the agreement is silent on this matter, it is entirely up to the employer but it would be a rare and foolish employer who would bring back someone who was out for years and just recently settled their claim.