MissAnne

Search and Seizure

I'm looking for a place to start researching the search and seizure laws for West Virginia high school students. What are the rights of the student? Who can order the search? Who can conduct the search? And when and where can the search be conducted? What is the expectation of privacy of the student's person and belongings? Under what circumstances is a search considered unreasonable? Harassment? What recourse do parents have in the school system? In the courts?

I suggest that you start by going to a law library and finding a law treatise on searches and seizures and looking there for the discussion of this topic. Most of the law on this is developed from federal and state case law (court decisions) and would take quite awhile to do a comprehensive study of the topic even if you were familiar with the general principles of searches and seizures and how to do case law research. With a treatise, someone has done that for the reader, citing the various sources for the points of law that are discussed within it. 

I trust you've started with "school search [with or without "regulations"] West Virginia".  For instance, a general search will result in the likes of (this as to Massachusetts):  http://www.youthadvocacydepartment.org/jdn/resourcedocs/school-search-and-seizure.pdf

You don't say, but I presume this is a public high school.  I'd also contact the school board with regard to regulations.  (Naturally, after the local school principal, the next stop in terms of parental recourse would usually be the school board.)