Sign in to follow this  
PAW1966

Child Support

QUESTION: 

Am I eligeble for child support payments from the date the father walked out until the date prior to the start of the court ordered child payments?

HISTORY:

My divorce is almost complete & I have a quesiton reguarding back child support based on the following timeline of information:

Sep 4, 2012: Father walked out the house without prior notifcation.

Jan 6, 2013:  Father served divorce papers.

Jun 1, 2014 is the date on divorce papers indictating the start of child support payments.

NOTE(s)

1. We had a settlement conferance on April 10, 2014.  The father did want to pay any back child support and has not paid any since the day he walked out.

2. I went to the local child support office and they could not help me because of the pending divorce process.

3. I have a lawyer that has not been too helpful in getting answers to my question.

Thank you in advance for your answers to my question. PAW1966

Unless the order states there is some amount owed attributable to the period before the effective date, support is only owed as of the effective date. That is the whole reason for an effective date.

When you filed and asked for child support, did you ask for them to start the day he moved out?  Generally the furthest the court will go for back child support, absent a written agreement, is the date of the filing.