tlm550

Few Hours between shifts

Are there any laws about forcing me to work night and then return to work the very next morning where I only have the opportunity for just a few hours of sleep, sometimes just two or three hours?

I'm stuck on 2nd shift, where i work from 2pm to 10:30 pm but usually a little later or a few hours later.  The new management team no longer has any care or consideration for 2nd or 3rd shift employees.  They were forcing us to work our regular schedules (whether or not we had to work over) and then forcing us to work a weekend day on 1st shift (6 AM to 2:30 pm).   They smart off to us about sleeping their hours. they say we should be sleeping the same hours as those on 1st shift... they won't listen to us when we mention that we are at work while they have been sleeping for a few hours.  They just don't care that most of us on 2nd shift don't even get home until after midnight.

Prior to this reign of management, our policy was that we could not go to work more than four hours early and that we couldn't stay over more than four hours.  There have also been times where I've worked over and also had to go in early the next day.

Anyway, they've been doing this a lot... work 2nd shift, then be expected to return to work on day shift.  Considering working, driving time, bathing, preparing lunch for work, etc...that leaves me less than four hours for sleeping.  Now, they are throwing in a day during the week sometimes.  Work nights for a long stretch, then work 1st AND 2nd shift a day, then resume on 2nd shift the next day.   Usually for me, when I MUST (to avoid getting penalized or terminated) work 2nd and then return the next morning for 1st, that usually means I don't get any sleep at all.  Twice now, I've nearly crashed my car driving home because I fell asleep.

Are there any laws to protect myself and my co-workers against this type of insane schedule?

"Twice now, I've nearly crashed my car driving home because I fell asleep."

Do NOT drive if you're that sleepy; that decision is entirely on you (as is, frankly, accepting X conditions).  Seems to me that folks in a similar position could go in on a hotel room or two rather than spending time going all the way home?

We can't know whether, if you quit, you'd qualify for unemployment benefits.  Regardless of what IN law may be on topic (and there likely isn't a law unless you're in a profession that's subject to regulatory compliance, e.g., long-haul truck driving or airline pilot), you may need to start looking for another job.  I'd recommend that over quitting, since unemployment benefits even if you get them aren't very good (by presenting this as a constructive discharge issue ... where no reasonable person would tolerate X, it's as good as firing).

Please keep in mind that doctors and other professionals have to operate under the same nonsensical schedules (for years on end), so you aren't alone.

Well, once we clock out, we are required to leave the property.  I have no choice but to drive somewhere.  I've parked in a nearby parking lot to get SOME rest before driving home, but I've been run off by security or police, depending on which parking lot.  The only other option is to drive home.

No, it is not my decision to accept these working conditions.  It isn't acceptable to anyone I know or met or interviewed with to quit a job without having another already.

"Twice now, I've nearly crashed my car driving home because I fell asleep."

Do NOT drive if you're that sleepy; that decision is entirely on you (as is, frankly, accepting X conditions).  Seems to me that folks in a similar position could go in on a hotel room or two rather than spending time going all the way home?

We can't know whether, if you quit, you'd qualify for unemployment benefits.  Regardless of what IN law may be on topic (and there likely isn't a law unless you're in a profession that's subject to regulatory compliance, e.g., long-haul truck driving or airline pilot), you may need to start looking for another job.  I'd recommend that over quitting, since unemployment benefits even if you get them aren't very good (by presenting this as a constructive discharge issue ... where no reasonable person would tolerate X, it's as good as firing).

Please keep in mind that doctors and other professionals have to operate under the same nonsensical schedules (for years on end), so you aren't alone.