Sign in to follow this  
disabled4life

Any laws to protect young people who become disabled

I worked extremely hard to get into one of the top universities in the world and was then diagnosed with a disability before being able to complete my degree program.   

I now receive monthly disability but it is such a small amount that it is utterly impossible to survive.  

I have tried to find all avenues of assistance including signing up for housing assistance in 2006.    The supposed wait is 5-7 years but I've heard nothing even though I have kept it updated with my contact info.    

I have been told that people who become disabled after they have 'paid into the system' from working over a series of years will get additional benefits, i.e. what I am receiving as well as an additional payment based on how they paid into the system.    

I am not greedy or trying to get more but the fact of the matter is that the money I receive on a monthly basis simply does not allow me to live anywhere.   It would barely pay rent for a room somewhere and there is not enough left for food or basic necessities.  

Is there any recourse for my situation?   I am told that sometimes when people become disabled they are able to receive a portion of wages that they would have earned.   Once again I am not trying to get more than my share but I simply do not understand how I am supposed to survive on the amount of money I get each month.  

I appreciate any insight anyone might have into this situation. 

What benefits you may be entitled to receive will depend on where you live. Each country has different benefits, and in the U.S. it also matters in what state and sometimes even what city/county in which you live as to what benefits might be available. What kind of disability you have, the extent of the disability, your age, and your work history may also matter. It can also matter if you ever served in the military. Your state or county may have a government office that helps disabled persons by coordinating the benefits for them and helping them apply for the for benefits for which they qualify. If you provide some more information, especially where you are located, someone here might be able to point you to some additional information that might help you.