Sign in to follow this  
Type_Zero

Former tenants still hogging the driveway

I live in Middletown, CT above a family of bad neighbors. So bad in fact, that the month-to-month extension on their lease runs out tonight and will not be continued for July. And since they've put in no discernible effort to move (the basement and garage are both still filled with their possessions) it looks like they're staying for a while regardless. I have a question about our rights, as legal tenants, while the landlord works to sort this out: can they continue to park in our shared driveway? Equal access to the driveway by all tenants is stipulated in the lease. They go out of their way to deny us use of the driveway, either by parking at the very entrance or having their friends park their cars in the driveway when they aren't around.

And yes, the landlord is aware of their parking habits, as it's been going on for months now; it's one of the many complaints we've lodged.

I'm looking for general advice or opinions besides “go conult a lawyer.” The state maintained website only covers disputes between tenants and landlords or between property owners.

Thanks for any insight.

"can they continue to park in our shared driveway?"

Yes.  They are not "former" tenants unless and until they are gone.  We cannot even know if you're very bright landlord gave them proper termination notice of their tenancy, let alone whether it has filed an eviction action.

Let's assume there are no parking-related rules in the lease (or that the landlord wasn't conscientious in terms of having a vague reference to rules-regs in the lease that are subject to change on reasonable notice).  Ultimately, you're free to go after the landlord for failing to have these where the behavior of other tenants affects your access to parking.  Who knows what a court would value the issues with parking, since we don't know how much of your rent contemplates the value of having parking (even if you pay an extra amount separately as a parking fee).

Naturally, visitors/friends parking in the driveway would be something the landlord could address in terms of having them towed. 

You don't need a lawyer to file a complaint against the landlord for being too idiotic about documentation in terms of rules-regs and the lease.

"The state maintained website only covers disputes between tenants and landlords ..."

Ultimately, that's what this is (at least with your average tenant, who would demand that the landlord do X and pursue if it materially impacts their tenancy).  You can't do anything about the other tenants; only the landlord's in a position to do something.

can they continue to park in our shared driveway?

Yes, but I'll bet that's not really what you intended to ask.

I'm looking for general advice or opinions besides “go conult a lawyer.”

Advice or opinions about what?  You said your landlord's kicking these folks out, so, while they might not have been gone by midnight last night, they'll presumably be gone eventually (assuming the landlord doesn't abandon the eviction).

If someone's blocking your driveway, you're free to call the police since that's presumably illegal.