Sign in to follow this  
SWlovestoride

Can you sell Ranch property in Wyoming without legal access? If not how much should legal access cost?

There is a debate as to whether or not we can sell Ranch Property in Wyoming without Legal access.  We are a large family with numerous shareholders in a corporation that owns Ranch property.  We want to put the ranch up for sale but there is no legal access. Do we have to obtain legal access before we put it on the market or can we allow a discount for the new owner to get legal access or can that all be negotiated with the buyer?  Also if we need to get legal access, how much should it cost?

Yes the property is landlocked. The family has owned the Ranch for 60+ years and has always used a road that crosses other properties.  We are told that a potential buyer would need legal access to cross other properties as we have for years.  There is approximately 5 miles that we would need access to.

There might already be "legal access" through the property you have been crossing for the past 60 years.

It could be a prescriptive easement or an easement by necessity or some other legal definition of easement that allows a buyer to continue to use the same access to the property.

While you can certainly sell landlocked property without access I seriously doubt that anybody will actually hand you money for it (other than pennies) without you being able to guarantee access.

You are either going to need a written and recorded easement from the neighboring property owners or get the easement declared by a court.

Either way, you need to hire yourself a lawyer to get this properly determined.

I agree with the prior response.  I can't imagine a legal prohibition against selling, but I think you ought to seek to formalize the access.  Definitely something about which you should consult with a local real property attorney.