davidtg

Total cost for securing utility patent

USPTO site fees are confusing and I don't know what is all absolutely necessary tp pay so can someone with experience roughly estimate total cost for securing utility patent. I would qualify for micro entity; I have 40 pages of text and 40 pages of drawings (used for Provisional patent application so I would need a few more pages for claims and the rest).

Also, how much could I expect to pay to someone to rewrite rather detailed PPA into qualifying patent application? It is a software patent but described as "device".

Provisional Patents are cheaper because they really just put the USPTO and public on notice about what you are planning on submitting. As far as costs, it would depend on the firm, location and patent prosecutor. 

You are not going to be able to get specific answers to your question on a forum since it would take a lengthy meeting to discuss specs. 

I've been through this with my clients. Best of luck with your patent and I highly recommend you work with an attorney on this application. 

The cost of filing a patent varies depending on your invention. Technology devices may cost higher than other simple devices. Here are an estimate breakdown of expenses in filing a patent.

Attorney's fee - $2000

filing fee - $130

Drawings - $100 to $125

high quality provisional patent application (mechanical and electrical devices) - $2500