Sign in to follow this  
mrnashville

New Construction Wrong size garage

I had a home built with a detached garage that was an upgrade with plans that called for 20x20 with a pull down and 4ft high ceilings and a light. After closing an issue of water leaking  in the garage and after 6 months and mold starting to grow all over the drywall the builder came out to fix the issue and just keeps putting band aids on the issue.   I was told they built it based on the drawings that were signed off on. So I measured the 19x18.75 with 2 ft of attic space with no light....

I sent a text to the builder and NO REPLY....

What should I do?

It should go without saying that it's not a good practice to engage in business-related communications via text.  :)

It seems to me that your subject line and your post details don't match; seems the bigger problem is the water infiltration.  The overall size discrepancy the isn't something you can do anything about at this point, and the ceiling height and light issue are ones that you could-should have addressed when the building process was ongoing and certainly before closing. 

This is something you should discuss with a local real estate attorney with some knowledge of construction contracts and the workmanship issues and bandaid fixes.  That person can go over your options.  It may be that a nasty but professional letter will help.

Six months is hardly too long to address something like this, and the difference between a 20x20 structure and one that is 19x18.75 is not going to be perceptible to the average person without taking measurements.  The difference between 4' of attic space versus 2' probably would be obvious to anyone, but, again, six months is hardly too long.  I agree, however, that the mold and leaking is a bigger issue, and you should speak with a local attorney if you don't get relatively immediate satisfaction.