thisiscrazy31

how to break 1 yr lease early

I started my lease on Nov. 15 2013 and it goes to Nov. 15 2014. We did not know that the neighborhood we moved into was full or crack houses, drugs, robberies and vandalizm. My husband on Dec. 20th was shot and robbed in our front yard. We have found a new safer place to move to. How can I get my landlord to let us out of the lease early? The landlord knows of this robbery of my husband and says it is still a safe place. I am at my witts end and have to move out. I also dont want to loose my deposit since it was alot more than the rent. Please help!!!!! 

"We did not know that the neighborhood we moved into was full or crack houses, drugs, robberies and vandalizm."

Well, if the conditions in the neighborhood is important, then the onus was on you to do due diligence that can be had by public record.  (As a rule of thumb, one can generally assume price goes hand in hand with level of "nice" neighborhood.)

You can be robbed or killed in any neighborhood.

"How can I get my landlord to let us out of the lease early?"

You can't force the landlord to let you out of the lease.  You're free to look into options to assign your interest in it to someone else; landlord's refusal to allow it would typically need to be "reasonable".  I'd recommend that over subletting (even if allowed), where you would in effect be the landlord and on the hook regardless.

"I am at my witts end and have to move out."

As you know, no one can stop you from moving out.

How can I get my landlord to let us out of the lease early? 

How should we know?  You know him.  We don't and, therefore, have no possible way of knowing what methods of persuasion might work.  If your intent was to ask whether your failure to research the neighborhood before moving in or the incident with your husband allows you to get out of the lease without consequence, it doesn't.  Sorry.

The landlord knows of this robbery of my husband and says it is still a safe place.

Neither his opinion that the neighborhood is "safe" nor yours that it isn't are relevant.  The landlord didn't guarantee you a neighborhood that meets your subjective definition of "safe."  Did you ask the landlord before you moved in about known incidents of violent and/or drug-related crime?  Did you contact the local police or sheriff about this?  Unless you answer those questions in the affirmative and believe that you were misled about the responses you received, then this is on you, I'm afraid.

All contracts are breakable.  If there is no specific provision within the lease that details what the penalty for early termination is, then you'll be on the hook for rent until the landlord is able to fill the house again or until the end of your lease, whichever comes first.