Sign in to follow this  
petscanning

Paying non court order support for almost 18 years to foreign national

My sons mom and I were divorced when he was about 4 years old. She is German and had moved back when he was 2 to Germany. The divorce papers only state that I have been providing financial support and thats it, nothing about a dollar amount or time frame. I have always paid on time and raised it every so many years as well plus helping buy things for him. I visit him or fly him over every couple of years. He is coming up on 18 and I am wanting to stop paying support since I have 3 other children that need things and this has been tough over the years on us. 

So as he approaches 18 can I stop support since he has already graduated high school? Should I wait till he is 18 to tell the mom? Any advice thanks.

What's the worst that can happen if you stop paying? WIll she hunt you down in Oklahoma and take you to court? I suspect the worst that can happen for not paying is that you might be forced to pay. Maybe she's reasonable and you can come to an agreement. It seems to have worked out OK so far that way.

The divorce papers only state that I have been providing financial support and thats it, nothing about a dollar amount or time frame.

Please clarify what this means.  If my math is correct, you were divorced in approximately 2000.  Are you saying that your divorce decree/judgment, which was entered in 2000 states that you have been (in the past -- i.e., during and prior to 2000) providing support but does not include any sort of order for payment of support in the future (i.e., from 2000 and onward)?  Are you reading from the original German language document (I'm assuming the original document is in German if your "divorce was out of Germany")?  Or are you reading from an English translation?  Do you speak/read/understand German fluently?  Were you represented by a German attorney in the divorce and, if so, did he/she specifically state that the decree/judgment includes no obligation to pay support?

I have always paid on time.

Paid what on time?  And what does "on time" mean if your divorce decree/judgment contained no provision for payment of support?

can I stop support since he has already graduated high school?

Everything you have written seems to indicate you are not and never were under any legal obligation to pay support, so I'm not sure why this would even be an issue.  Of course, you're basically asking us to comment on the legal effect of a German court decree/judgment, which we obviously haven't read, and which you've only paraphrased, so it's impossible to have any certainty here without answers to the questions I asked.