Sign in to follow this  
reet727

What does Hearing De Novo Mean?

I currently reside in Delaware County, PA. I'm currently fighting a case against my mother for visitation of my daughter. We went before a master of the court last week and a temporary order to allow visitation was put in place. 

I didn't have an attorney at this hearing, but I intend to have one when we return in 6 weeks. After reviewing the papers, I noticed on the temporary order that either has 20 days from the order to file a written request for a hearing de novo? Does this mean I can request a new hearing because I don't agree with the master's decision? If so, would the next hearing be in front of a new master or proceed in front of a judge?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

A de novo hearing is a new hearing.  HOWEVER, in PA custody matters before a master, it's not a completely new hearing, it's more like an appeal.  A judge would simply review the record of the hearing before the master, hear some argument and decide.  In your case, you only have a temporary order that is only in effect until the full hearing.  The case obviously wouldn't be going to a hearing in 6 weeks if there was an agreement reached.  SO, if you file an exception to the Custody Master's Proposed temporary order, what happens is that temporary order will not go into effect and if you had no visitation before that order, you'd be back to that position.  You're already set for a full hearing.  Take the visits you have and prep for that hearing.