Sign in to follow this  
b2oc9pmb

Need Clarification

Can an estate be "challenged" even though a will is established, where said inheritor inherits all property (vehicles, home, monetary assets, etc.)?  In other words, can an estate be challenged whereas a "freeze" can be put on the inheritor, as far as halting a sale on inherited vehicles, home, etc., even though a planned upcoming dissolution of estate will occur?

Approx. how long does a "simple" succession take, if the person died back in 2008? Is there such an answer to this?  What pertinent information will be needed to conduct a succession? This person had no will when deceased, and has only a possible inheritance due to heirship, which is in a preliminary status at this time.

Sorry if this inquiry is so vague, I'm putting down words as best as I can, in my own way.

If you are implying that you are the only person named in the will as a beneficiary, then why do you think the will would be "challenged"? (A better word would be "contested", not challenged.)  What state is this occurring in (Louisiana?)?  There is no simple way to answer your question as to how long a succession would take, but at the very least at least 4-5 months or more, depending on how simple or complicated the form of the assets are.

Can an estate be "challenged" even though a will is established, where said inheritor inherits all property (vehicles, home, monetary assets, etc.)?

I have no idea what you mean by "said inheritor" in the context of this sentence.  Since it's the first sentence of your post, nothing has been "said" yet.  Also, estates don't get challenged.  Wills sometimes get challenged, so it's not at all clear what you're talking about.  If you're asking about a situation whereby the deceased left a will that leaves the entire estate to one person (call him "John"), then it would make no sense for John to contest the will.

In other words, can an estate be challenged whereas a "freeze" can be put on the inheritor, as far as halting a sale on inherited vehicles, home, etc., even though a planned upcoming dissolution of estate will occur?

No idea what you're talking about here.  First you repeat the question already asked and then use "whereas" in a way that doesn't make sense.  I also have no idea what you mean by "freeze" or "dissolution."

Approx. how long does a "simple" succession take, if the person died back in 2008?

Most estates can be administrered in 6 months to two years.  Six years is WELL above "normal" (but certainly not unheard of).

What pertinent information will be needed to conduct a succession?

All information about the deceased's assets, debts, and heirs.

I understand why I was questioned about my inquiry---I left alot of information un-said.   The reason we want to "contest" the will is because (long story, short)....the whole estate wasn't divided correctly, legally, as far as 17 yrs. ago, when one of my uncle's died.  There was no will in place at that time, and we're trying to "re-capture" what is rightfully our share, as heirs.  I know alot of time has passed, and we're not sure how things fell through the cracks for this long, other than we dropped the ball--but, we want to go back and try to, (and, I repeat), re-capture what should have been rightfully ours from the start.  Because my other uncle then lived beforehand with my deceased uncle, he felt he was "entitled" to everything (my deceased uncle's savings, home, stocks, etc.), when he died, even though there was no will.  That is the reason that we now want to proceed with fighting the ones named in the will of my now last deceased uncle, becasue all assets they are receiving aren't all rightfully theirs. The ones named in the will are currently in the process of selling the house, vehicles, and we're not sure whatever else of monetary value.  We are in the beginning stage of getting the ball rolling legally, of what may be a long road ahead, but we are willing to bear it.  Again, we reside in Louisiana.

I hope I am understood a bit more this time.  Any feedback on my dilemma will be highly appreciated.

We can't know how the 2008-dead uncle wound up with X of his brother's or what a court record might reveal from the 1990s.  If the 2008-brother died with the property in his alone, it is what it is and I don't see a court delving into what should have happened in the 1997 that family could have addressed but did not.  If he or someone forged a sibling's name on something to get it into his own name, whether LA law allows someone to address that now is something you'd discuss with a real estate attorney.  If you're talking $$$ assets, you almost certainly have to consider that gone.