mazda3si

Speeding and can i fight it.

Ok I got a speeding ticket about 5 weeks ago. I was on my way home trying to get my food from my boyfriend not really paying attention to my speed limit. The officer was coming towards me it was about 445 in the morning with no other cars on the road what so ever. He said that he had clocked doing 60 in a 45 which i was only doing 56 which i know is still speeding, but no one was in danger and i have been told that a cop can not get a 100% accurate speed while they are moving to. I have also read that I can ask for an extension and its possible that the cop wont show up on the extra day if they are off, I dont have 183 dollars to pay my ticket and I have never been to court before and this is only my 2nd speeding ticket in 4 1/2 yrs, I am a very safe and cautious driver always and never speed i just wasnt paying attention at the time because i was so hungry and trying to get my food. I just dont want points on my license or for my insurance to go up. is there any way that i can have this lowered or possibly get out of it? bc i was thinking about just going to court on the day the cop scheduled but i read on here that they will normally make all their court dates on the same day so that they will for sure be there then i have heard that alot of cops dont waste their time going in for stuff like that, and idk what to do?????    :wacko:  :blink:  :mellow:  :huh:

I was on my way home . . . not really paying attention to my speed limit.  The officer . . . said that he had clocked doing 60 in a 45 which i was only doing 56

You were "not really paying attention to [your] speed" and yet you claim to know the precise speed at which you were travelling?  Sorry, but that's not credible.

i have been told that a cop can not get a 100% accurate speed while they are moving to.

"[M]oving to" what?  Or did you mean "too"?  In any event, what rocket scientist told you this?

I dont have 183 dollars to pay my ticket

Then you shouldn't be driving without paying attention to your speed.

is there any way that i can have this lowered or possibly get out of it?

You're certainly free to request a reduction of the fine.  More likely, the court may allow you to make payments (of course, that depends on where you are).

Beyond that, I agree with the prior response.

I agree with the prior responses, that the fight is probably not going to be worth it and that the officer is probably going to show up to court.  I have frequently seen judges reduce the fine amount in court however.  So going in and being humble and asking the judge if there's any way to pay less might work, also asking if you can make payments might work, and there's always the chance that if you're in court the officer who cited you won't show up and you'll be able to get off.  Also, in at least some states (maybe all states, don't know) the speed limit needs to be supported by a current traffic survey, so if you live in a jurisdiction that requires a traffic survey to support the posted speed limit, you may want to take a look at it to see if it supports the posted speed limit.

As a side note, while I've never been involved in a case where this happened, but an officer can be certified to judge a moving vehicles speed without the use of a radar gun, so an officers testimony can be enough for a speeding conviction even if you were able to attack the radar gun as inaccurate, so I wouldn't rely on the 4 mph discrepancy you think there was from the radar gun.