aclink

Hyperlinking from one site to another

I am currently apart of a team that was brought ont he create a website for a company. I am trying to figure out whether or not it is illegal to post a link on our site to go to another site? As far as I know it's not but I need some sort of physical proof to provide to my client. 

What team are you talking about and what is your role? Who is the company and what is the website about? Your question is vague and impossible to answer in it's current form. Please revise so that you can get the best possible answer. Ideally, you will want to talk to an attorney in your state.

By way of clarification, I assume that the prior response is not requesting the names of persons or entities involved.  Rather, I believe the question is designed to understand the relationships between the various persons/entities involved.

I am trying to figure out whether or not it is illegal to post a link on our site to go to another site? 

This question is ambiguous.  You said that you were (or your employer was) hired to create a web site for a company.  What web site are you talking about when you refer to "our site"?  Same question for the "[]other site" that you mentioned.

I need some sort of physical proof to provide to my client. 

Proof of what?

I am a student at a university, a state run program has brought me and other students on to create a new website for them, and my job is to figure whether or not it is illegal to post links from our site to virtually any other site on the internet such as facebook or this site (findlaw.com), i need physical written proof to show my team as well as the man who brought us on to create the site 

proof being anything that states why this could be illegal to hyperlink one site to the other or why it is legal to hyperlink one site to another 

I suspect you'll find this is generally an intellectual property issue and whether you can properly link to another website is going to depend on the linking policy of the site you're trying to link to (although as IP_Counsel suggested, there are certainly going to be websites you can't legally link to). You should check the terms and conditions or contact the owner of the site you want to link to to determine if you can properly link to the site.

The first thing to do before you start linking you website to another site is to read the site's TOS (Terms of service). You have to know first the conditions in linking your website to the site. That way you can avoid any legal dispute with the owner of the websites where you want to link.