Sign in to follow this  
widowblack

Mandatory biometrics for company sponsored health insurance

Is it legal for my employer to require biometrics and annual health screenings for me to continue coverage in my company sponsored health insurance program?

Your employer has no obligation to provide medical insurance to the employees. When it does, it can set the terms and conditions of providing that coverage.

So, yes, it probably is quite legal to require biometrics and annual health screenings.

Your option is to purchase your medical insurance on your own which would probably cost you 2 or 3 times what it costs through your employer.

Your employer has no obligation to provide medical insurance to the employees. When it does, it can set the terms and conditions of providing that coverage.

Actually, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) does require that large employers (those with at least 50 full-time employees) provide health insurance to full-time employees or incur a tax penalty. Those plans must meet the minimum coverage requirements set out in regulations issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). While the Obama Administration has delayed implementation of this provision, known as the employer mandate, until next year for the largest employers, the law still requires and there is controversy over whether the Administration had the authority to delay imposing the penalties for the failure to provide the insurance. Should the administration lose on challenges that are being pursued on that issue, employers who have failed to provide coverage this year might still find themselves facing the tax penalties. 

So, yes, it probably is quite legal to require biometrics and annual health screenings.

Your option is to purchase your medical insurance on your own which would probably cost you 2 or 3 times what it costs through your employer.

...yes, it probably is... Does that mean it is possible that it is not quite legal?

I am employed under a CBA, and the work I do is covered under the Service Contract Act, wherein I believe that benefits are either offered to employees or cash-in-lieu of benefits are required to be paid. Does that make a difference in the situation asked by the original poster? Can my company legally compel me to divulge health assessment information against my will and financially punish me for non-compliance in their health care assessment activities? The company claims that their policy is compliant under DOL, EEO, HIPAA,, GINA, and ADA. But they are large and powerful, with a vast legal department. They could say anything they want. "It probably is quite legal..." leaves open the possibilty that it also might be quite illegal. I'll take my answer off the air. Thank you.