whoknows_az

DUI-Az-help

I got caught for DUI in az, 3 yrs ago and finally the charges came up. At time of incident I spent nine days in jail got release n show up at my next court date. No complain was file at that time so the court send me home n I gave them my address so a noticed could be sent to me when ever they have a complain file. So back in Nov. I got noticed for court. I went thru the process of court n finally sign plea agreement . straight DOC no probation n just pay fines. But now have one last court date sentence. Wondering if some where along the way judicial process went wrong-;'motion to dismiss'. On one my jobs I had to do background check n it show up but still didn't receive a notice from the court. Till two yrs later. I have a public defender and I ask of time limit . he just said each case is different. And I think my case is different that could be dismiss.. Here stressing out. Thxs for the info..

The state had one year from the date of the offense to file criminal charges.  If they were filed within that time, there's no motion to dismiss on that basis.  When the case showed up during a record's check, that means that there was a warrant out for your arrest.  The court isn't obligated to let you know there's been a case filed against you--that's why it's called a "courtesy notice."

If there was a warrant out? So why did it take 30 months after the incident to set out a court date? Is their time limit such the court or the prosecutor to file on their part such as '' elected not to prosecute''- prosecute forgot about case for couple of months. Or a docket number > PC 853.6 -where the complain wasn't file ,i didn't sign anything to promise to appear till I receive a notice 30 months later..

So do they log in or date their paper work on when they file charges?

I know of case similar to mine-dui state vs individual . incident happened and charges didn't come up a year later and it got dismiss. Think it was because guess terms '' lack of injustice''..? Is that term for it?

Ooh n up to me sign the plea agreement they change the date of the incident, is that OK? Is like they had the wrong date when it happened ,they scratch it out n pencil it in right before I sign it... Is that right with in laws? Or if sign it n then they scratch in to make it right?

Had you been picked up on a warrant, you would have been to court a lot sooner.  That they decided to send you a courtesy notice late in the game doesn't mean they ever had an obligation to do so.  YOU could have called the court just as easily.  That someone else's case was dismissed "in the interests of justice," means nothing.  What were the facts of that case that were remotely similar to yours?  You have a lawyer, talk to them.  If you're not happy with their advice, you are free to hire your own counsel to review the case.