Sign in to follow this  
missalyssuh

Is there a law in Oklahoma stating that you have to be 21 years of age to rent a hotel room?

I work at a hotel here in Oklahoma and my GM recently started a new policy stating that there is a law in Oklahoma saying we cannot rent to anyone under the age of 21. We are being threatened with a law-suit saying that it does not state anywhere that this is true. (our website says so but under Hotwire and Booking.com it does not specify) So I thought I would come onto this website and ask if there is such a law in Oklahoma stating that they have to be 21 or older to rent a room. Thanks in advance!

Edited by FindLaw_Kevin
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. - Moderator

The age of majority in Oklahoma is age 18 and persons age 18 or older may make enforceable contracts. I see nothing in OK law that makes a special rule for innkeeper establishments (hotels, motels, etc) that imposes a requirement that the guest renting the room must be at least age 21. That said, a hotel certainly could adopt that as its policy if it chooses. 

Further to the prior response, a hotel refusing to rent to a person under 21 is obviously discrimination based on age.  However, age-based discrimination is typically only illegal if it is targeted at persons over the age of 40.  There is generally no protection for persons who are discriminated against for their youth.

Further to the prior response, a hotel refusing to rent to a person under 21 is obviously discrimination based on age.  However, age-based discrimination is typically only illegal if it is targeted at persons over the age of 40.  There is generally no protection for persons who are discriminated against for their youth.

Moreover, age discrimination agaisnt persons based on age under federal law is generally only illegal in the context of employment or housing. There is no federal age discrimination law that applies to hotels with respect to the hotel guests, and few states have such laws either.