Sign in to follow this  
Gemini615

Personal Safety at Risk

I work part time in a motel that is now converting to a major chain. 

However many years ago there was a murder at the front desk lobby, 2 front desk attendants were killed and the killer was never caught.

I had no idea this happened when they hired me...

Because of said murder the front desk has bulletproof glass to protect the desk and is heavily outfitted with security cameras. And we buzz people in at night from 9pm-6am.

The issue is this...The building is now undergoing renovations which requires the front desk personnel to exit the safety of the bulletproof glass and camera surveillance by requiring us to leave the secure building and setting up breakfast in a non secure building (breakfast set up is at 5am). 

My question is can I raise concerns to my employer because of the previous incident where 2 people were murdered? Is this considered a workplace safety violation?

What is the best way to proceed construction is set to begin in a couple of weeks 

Thanks

There is no requirement that you be behind bullet proof glass for your entire shift, whether there was a violent act committed there years ago or not. If the general area is indeed unsafe, you are going to be at risk at some point anyway. You are at no greater risk than those eating breakfast in the dining room. It is in no way even close to a safety violation to expect you to assume the same risks as your clients and the general public.

What is the best way to proceed

If your state issues permits to carry a concealed firearm, your option is toget training, get qualified, get the permit, carry a concealed firearm. Never tell anybody about it.

No guarantee that you won't get shot or killed by somebody else with a firearm, but at least you'll have a fighting chance if the need arises.

"Is this considered a workplace safety violation?"

Uhm, no.

Just because an owner/manager took an extreme step in the aftermath of something that happened "many years ago" which could happen anywhere at any time, no matter how ritzy the neighborhood, doesn't mean there's any reason to believe your safety is at risk.

If a "major chain" is signing off on/aligning itself with this place, that is evidence your imagination is a bit overactive and that you'll operate like virtually any other motel (sans bulletproof glass).

My question is can I raise concerns to my employer because of the previous incident where 2 people were murdered? Is this considered a workplace safety violation?

It is not a worker safety violation. Worker safety rules tend to address working conditions in which the normal work place would be dangerous, e.g. rules concerning dangerous machinery, the safety of the building, etc. They do not address issues where others may come into the work place and commit crimes.

Note that the fact that some years ago one episode of murder involving two clerks does not by itself mean that the hotel is any more dangerous than any of the other thousands of hotels in the U.S. that do not have bulletproof glass, etc. A random murder could happpen in any hotel. Such events are very uncommon, however, and thus don't warrant the cost and effort of making all hotels undergo the cost of the kinds things your hotel did.

You certainly may raise the issue with hotel management if you wish. But if you are perceived as a troublemaker or simply not a team player, you might find yourself without a job. So you'd want to be careful about how you approach the management on this.