ok_TellMeMore

Background Check Not Required by Employer

I live in California.  I have a criminal background.  I have worked for my company for 2 years, and I don't know if they ever did a background check on me.  If they did, they didn't say anything to me about what they found, and I am still working here.  Our company is a privately held company, but we choose to have an annual financial statement audit by a big public accounting firm.  I was recently promoted to a position which interacts heavily with the auditors.  The auditors have told me it is their policy to conduct background checks of anyone in my position.  It is not my employer who is insisting on the background check, but instead it is our auditors.  I don't want to let them do a background check for obvious reasons, and I am afraid they would tell me employer if they found anything about me having a criminal background.  Is there anything I can do to avoid this or to protect myself?  I am sure if the auditors go to my boss and tell him I am not cooperating with them doing their background check, it is going to be trouble for me.

It's up to your employer to decide whether to allow its contractors (?) (in this case an auditor) to do a background check.  All I can suggest is getting ahead of it by talking with auditor after talking with an attorney (if you aren't clear) about whether the conviction(s) in question (I presume not just arrest record) has/have any direct correlation to the type of work you do.  If theft and situation of a given type and it's a mandatory reporting to your employer that they don't feel comfortable with you doing X, then you'll need to strategize how to attempt to get ahead of that with employer.