rusty100

Lawyer confidentiality

I injured myself at work, 6 weeks later got a comp lawyer. Something happened that had really nothing to do with my case. He dropped me and no longer represents me. My question is. If I get a new lawyer, do I have to even tell him about the previous issue I had with the 1st one? Do I even have to say I had a lawyer? Or is re sworn to confidentiality?

I guess what happened was sort of stupid on my end. But does my previous lawyer who dropped have the right to disclose anything? I guess I'm just a little embarrassed because it wasn't something I thought about to well.

"But does my previous lawyer who dropped have the right to disclose anything?"

Not something that's confidential without your consent (we can't know whether the issue in question fell under the heading of something to do with your case/representation).  If your attorney created a file, presumably your new lawyer wants contents of that file (we can't know), there may be a memo about X.

Not sure what you expect folks to say.  Bottom line is that while rules may prohibit X disclosure, we can't know whether the rule applies to the vague inference to something embarassing.  (And, in the end, laws and rules with the force of law can and are broken all the time and, if so, whether there's much of anything to be done about it.)

But does my previous lawyer who dropped have the right to disclose anything?

"Anything" covers an awfully wide range of things.  Some things the lawyer may be able to disclose to anyone or to certain persons without your consent.  For other things, he may need your consent.

×
×