Sign in to follow this  
nicole00

Dicsrimination, racsim, and getting sick at work

i am the general manager of a storage facility, i am a black female and within 6 months of being employed 3 employees were fired for their racist comments to me, the facility is in a black neighborhood and none of the white employees want to work at my location after the store was robbed, i was working that day. i was not sent home for anytime at all by the company and i thought i could move forward but that did not happen. then i was already having bad headaches about a month after i started working there and what do you know a pipe burst and they place became loaded with black mold which we know realized that is what was on the office vents instead of it being dirt and dust. i went to another location due to a workers comp claim and that lasted up until the second week of july i went back to my store after the mold clean up and i began feeling sick again. i was being sent home with pay and i wondered why. i had a meeting with my regional director and he said if i cannot work in the facility and decide to quit that the company wont fight me on unemployment. i asked why couldn't i just get sent to another facility and i was told because i belong at the store i am managing and that i where i will have to be or i can resign from my position and look for another job. i told them resigning was not an option and i was given 48 hrs to decide. what should i do. they can't say i have not been doing my job so i do realize why they want me to terminate myself.

In what state do you live?  In the State of New Jersey, if you resign from a job, you will be penalized six (6) weeks before receiving any unemployment benefits.  If I were you, I would not resign.  The company would have to fire me.  What ever your regional director has orally promised to you, ask him/her to 'put it in writing', sign it, and date it.  When you were temporarily assigned to the other facility, which I am assuming was similar to your original facility, were you 'getting sick' there?  If I were you, I would immediately (today) go to my doctor for a check-up and explain to my doctor what I thought were the causes for my headaches and illness.  I hope you have available 'sick leave' to do so, and make sure you get a 'doctor's note'.  Regarding the 'racist comments', do you have written proof that racism was the reason why the three (3) employees were fired?  Before discussing more of the 'racism' issue, you need to go to the doctor...NOW!!!