Sign in to follow this  
joan29

Workers comp claim

I am involved in a wc claim after an injury at work a year ago. I was not asked to sign a consent for release of my wc records by my company insurer at the time and my info has been shared with adjusters, case managers and an IME. I just received a letter from the company attorney asking me to sign a consent to release my records now.

Question, am I legally obliged to sign at this late stage and are there legal issues regarding the distribution of my records without the signed consent?

Question, am I legally obliged to sign at this late stage and are there legal issues regarding the distribution of my records without the signed consent?

You are not required to sign the consent at any point in the claim. However, failure to do so might result in problems with processing and approving your claim. Whether that might be a problem for you depends on the worker’s comp process in your unnamed state. The worker’s comp carrier is almost certainly entitled to get your records as a result of you filing the claim. But why does the company attorney need the records? Have you asked?