Sign in to follow this  
AlexanderS.

Can someone post a photo of me online without my consent of photo being taken?

What happened is that my girlfriend was at work cutting this teenagers hair and while doing so the girl took photos of her and posted them to instagram for malicious reasons. Mostly saying that my girlfriend is too unattractive to do her job. We are just looking into it for leverage to use to get the girl to take down the photos.

Yes, of course someone could do that. All it takes is a camera, a computer, and an internet connection. If you meant to ask whether your consent was needed prior to the person posting it online and what recourse, if any, you have if you don't like it, the answer to that depends on all the details of the situation and what state's law applies. For example, if Jane takes a photo of her niece Amy at the family reunion and puts it on her Facebook page to share with the whole family, there's no legal issue raised with that. Jane doesn't need Amy's permission to do that and Amy has no legal recourse against Jane if Amy doesn't like. All she can do is ask Jane to take it down and hope that Jane will honor her request.

On the other hand, if Huge Corporation has its ad agency take a picture of Amy without her consent and then it uses that photo on-line for a series of internet ads, that's a very different situation. Amy has a right to control how her image is used for commercial purposes, and she may well have a good legal claim against Huge Corporation and/or the ad agency for money damages and to get an injunction prohibiting further use of the photo.

Thus, the exact details matter. Since you provided absolutely no details at all, no one can tell you what the law is on the situation you have.

Can someone post a photo of me online without my consent of photo being taken?

The answer to this question could not possibly be anything other than yes. If your intent was to ask whether such an act is legal, the answer depends on the circumstances under which the picture was taken, the purpose for which it is being posted, the laws of your state of residence, and who owns the copyright in the photo.

What happened is that my girlfriend was at work cutting this teenagers hair and while doing so the girl took photos of her and posted them to instagram for malicious reasons.

Who is "the girl" who took the picture? Is it the "teenager" whose hair your girlfriend was cutting? What are the alleged "malicious reasons"?

Mostly saying that my girlfriend is too unattractive to do her job.

Anyone is legally entitled to express an opinion regarding another person's level of attractiveness.

We are just looking into it for leverage to use to get the girl to take down the photos.

There is no "we" here. This has nothing to do with you.

Nothing in your post suggests that your girlfriend has any legal recourse for what happened. There are public web sites (my understanding is that stuff posted on Instagram is only visible by "friends" of the person posting it, but I'm not completely familiar with how it works) that exist for the sole purpose of making fun of people's appearances (e.g., peopleofwalmart.com). We are in the time of year when awards for things like TV shows, movies, music, etc. are given out. After every one of those awards shows, folks post pictures of the people who attended them and comment on how they look (sometimes in a very snarky manner). What you are describing seems no different.

I am his girl friend, yes I understand that she has the right to her own opinions. She can say what ever she wants about me, she also had the right NOT to sit in my chair if she did not like my physical appearance and was bothered about it. I may not be the prettiest or skinny (by no means) But to go as far as pictures of me, and posting them up. It's very degrading and is a form of bullying. I just would like them taken down.

But to go as far as pictures of me, and posting them up. It's very degrading and is a form of bullying.

I don't disagree with any of this. However, as I previously explained, you have no legal right to have the photos taken down. The laws of the United States -- and the First Amendment in particular -- give folks a lot of latitude to be jerks. You're free to contact the operator of the web site where the pictures were posted and request that the photos be removed. Perhaps the web site operator will do as you ask, but it is entirely up to the web site operator to do so or not.