FEDERALRESERVE

I started a Civil Suit Pro Se what deadlines should i be aware of?

I'd say if you can afford it and if this is something substantial I would definitely get a jury. Its not so much that the judge is in anyone's pocket its just that through the entire thing, in my experience, the entire underlying theme is not going to be so much about whos right or whats just but more about how you had the nerve to walk into their courtroom thinking that you could represent yourself and actually prevail. You can pretty much depend on that being a major factor and all the opposition has to do is whip up something feasible that the judge can go along with without too much scrutiny. A jury made up of other people not affiliated with the courtroom and its culture is much more likely to produce unbiased results... Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

One issue that I have not researched is the approximate cost of proceeding with the suit. For example, there was the filing fees at the initiation of this suit.

What other expenses shall I expect (i.e..) other court fees, deposition costs, mediation fees, etc.. what are the upcoming expenses that I should expect to pay??

One issue that I have not researched is the approximate cost of proceeding with the suit. For example, there was the filing fees at the initiation of this suit.

What other expenses shall I expect (i.e..) other court fees, deposition costs, mediation fees, etc.. what are the upcoming expenses that I should expect to pay??

I think it all depends on the court. If you are shelling out for filing fees, if I'm not mistaken everytime you file something, there is an associated fee. There is fee that you must pay for a jury... if I remember correctly it was like $300.00. Supposedly if you win the other party is supposed to pay for all of your costs and fees. I would carefully look at what the opposition is filing and take it in light of what I've said if your planning on having a judge preside over the case. I am just saying if you know you are right in the matter and your material is short and to the point and you know the other party is wrong and their answer and legal defense is extremely long and complex... I'd be quite careful about investing alot of time or money into it, especially if a judge is going to be presiding over the case.

I read somewhere that I need to start FRCP 26 (F) at what point should I start this process? After the initial General Denial? or at what point?

I could be completely wrong but that sounds like maybe a reference to a form or document that pertains specifically to the court. You should have no problem whatsoever asking the court clerk for any assistance in relation to their specific court rules. They should also be able to refer you to all of their court rules. Otherwise I personally don't know what FRCP 26 is... I've never heard of anything being referred to like that that wasn't like a particular court's form number.

I read somewhere that I need to start FRCP 26 (F) at what point should I start this process? After the initial General Denial? or at what point?

I could be completely wrong but that sounds like maybe a reference to a form or document that pertains specifically to the court. You should have no problem whatsoever asking the court clerk for any assistance in relation to their specific court rules. They should also be able to refer you to all of their court rules. Otherwise I personally don't know what FRCP 26 is... I've never heard of anything being referred to like that that wasn't like a particular court's form number.

Query why you'd even respond when you don't know what it is.

The poster is talking about Rule 26(f) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It is applicable in every civil action filed in federal district court, and the court clerk is not going to provide any assistance.

To "FEDERALRESERVE": The timing of the Rule 26(f) conference is clearly spelled out in Rule 26(f)(1). You should start formulating your thoughts on the issues mentioned in Rule 26(f)(3) as soon as you file the complaint or are served with the complaint (depending on whether you're plaintiff or defendant), and you should consider scheduling the conference as soon as all parties have appeared. You should also faimiliarize yourself with the local rules of the district in which your case is pending and the standing order (or "local local" rules) of the judge to whom the case is assigned.

The poster is talking about Rule 26(f) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It is applicable in every civil action filed in federal district court, and the court clerk is not going to provide any assistance.

To "FEDERALRESERVE": The timing of the Rule 26(f) conference is clearly spelled out in Rule 26(f)(1). You should start formulating your thoughts on the issues mentioned in Rule 26(f)(3) as soon as you file the complaint or are served with the complaint (depending on whether you're plaintiff or defendant), and you should consider scheduling the conference as soon as all parties have appeared. You should also faimiliarize yourself with the local rules of the district in which your case is pending and the standing order (or "local local" rules) of the judge to whom the case is assigned.

Its a discussion board, I was throwing around ideas of what I thought it might be. I think the real question is, if you in fact know what it is, what the point is of quoting and referencing my post. I'm pretty sure this is a legal discussion board where people are free to express their ideas.. and I dont remember any kind of guarantee that someone with actual knowledge on the subject is going to be reading the thread and posting about it. Trust me there was no intentional misleading going on.. it simply looked like something that might be some kind of local court rule.

To Pg1067 (in regards to Docket control) (Its a District Court)

A Docket Control Conference may be set at any time following the filing of an answer in said suit, upon the request of either party or upon the Court’s own Motion. If no Docket Control Conference has been held by the expiration of 120 days from the date suit is filed, then such conference shall be automatically scheduled by the Court. If no Docket Control Conference has been scheduled in family law cases by the expiration of 60 days from the date suit is filed, then such conference shall be automatically scheduled by the Court. At any time such a conference is scheduled the Court in which the case is pending shall notify all attorneys in charge of the date and hour the attorneys are to appear in the office of the court coordinator for the purpose of conducting such conference.

I have the local rules handout onhand.

Sounds like you're quoting something from your court's local rules, so I would only caution that "docket control conference," as that term is used in your quote, doesn't sound like the same thing as the conference required by FRCP 26(f).

To Pg1067 (in regards to Docket control) (Its a District Court)

If no Docket Control Conference has been scheduled in family law cases by the expiration of 60 days from the date suit is filed, then such conference shall be automatically scheduled by the Court.

I have the local rules handout onhand.

Wait, is this a U.S. District Court (federal court) or a state district court? The reason that I ask is that federal Courts do not handle family law matters except in very unusual circumstances. Thus, having a rule about family law cases in the rules for a federal court would be most curious, indeed. Family law cases are generally the exclusive province of the state courts. Indeed, you mention earlier that it is a state district court, which would mean use of Rule 26(f) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP) is out-of-place. The FRCP applies only to cases in federal court, not state court. You need the state court rules for that, and indeed you may be quoting the state rule which serves for state court the same purpose that FRCP 26(f) serves for federal court.

Just thinking back so take whatever I say with a grain of salt but I'm thinking something to the effect of sworn statements, or interrogatories... something to that effect. Where you submit something with questions and they have to answer under penalty of perjury.

Your grain of salt is worth more than its weight in gold.

Wait, is this a U.S. District Court (federal court) or a state district court? The reason that I ask is that federal Courts do not handle family law matters except in very unusual circumstances. Thus, having a rule about family law cases in the rules for a federal court would be most curious, indeed. Family law cases are generally the exclusive province of the state courts. Indeed, you mention earlier that it is a state district court, which would mean use of Rule 26(f) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP) is out-of-place. The FRCP applies only to cases in federal court, not state court. You need the state court rules for that, and indeed you may be quoting the state rule which serves for state court the same purpose that FRCP 26(f) serves for federal court.

Im approaching the sixty (60) day mark, I need to file a docket control conference, ive read it can be informal. What is the document called that is filed with the court regarding this matter and what content shall it contain?

Im approaching the sixty (60) day mark, I need to file a docket control conference, ive read it can be informal. What is the document called that is filed with the court regarding this matter and what content shall it contain?

I'm assuming that this is in a STATE district court. In order to get helpful replies, you'll need to specify which state it is.