Sign in to follow this  
BeachLover888

beach house rental rate increase after booking and prepaid down payment

I booked the one week online beach house from ***** Rentals, repaid the down payment and got confirmation email with my reservation agreement including the rental rate. In the confirmation email it mentioned that this reservation is secured by down payment.

Just got email from General Manager of **** Rentals, the rate is increases after booking, here are the three option they gave to me:

1. Pay the increased rental amount and move forward with the existing rental, 2. They assist in finding an alternative rental or 3. They assist in the cancelation of the rental.

Can they increase the rate after the repaid and confirmed reservation? Can I keep my existing rental without pay the increased rate?

Edited by FindLaw_AHK
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

Can they increase the rate after the repaid and confirmed reservation?

Of course they CAN do it, they already DID do it.

Can I keep my existing rental without pay the increased rate?

If you are willing and able to sue for specific performance you might have a good chance of winning due to breach of contract.

Consult an attorney. It's possible that a scary looking attorney letter could get them to back off the increase.

If not, you'll have to decide if you want to spend the money on a lawsuit (money you aren't likely to get back) or accept any of the offered alternatives.

I would write this person a letter and say "I'm terribly sorry, but I notice nowhere in my reservation agreement the notion that either of us is free to unilaterally change the terms or terminate the contract if the other party doesn't find a change acceptable. I expect you to cough up X place on Y date for Z rate; if you do not, I will pursue you for damages related to breach of contract. Please advise in writing that we won't have any issues with you turning over possession of the place on Y date. Thanky!" I'd send certified mail and show on the letter that a copy went regular mail.

I can't tell to whom you're referring when you say "they." It sounds like you may have made your reservation through an online service but that the service is not actually the owner of the property. As much as some folks take offense at having their grammar criticized, the use of ambiguous pronouns make it difficult to provide accurate information in response.

Can you please clarify who "they" are (taking due note of the fact that "they" is a plural pronoun). Since the moderator edited your post, please note that you should not use the actual names of the persons or entities involved. Rather, use descriptive nouns like "online rental service" or "property owner."

Without clarification, I won't assume (as the first two responses did) that you actually had an enforceable contract. I would also suggest you refrain from sending the sort of sarcasm suggested by the second response.