stephen83

workplace injury

I live and work in the state of illinois. I am a fork lift and clamp truck driver and have been doing so for 27.6 years with out any problems. In late january, the company purchase new trucks. The new clamp trucks have a button you have to push on the lever you use to open the clamps. The first week my right hand started to swell and hurt so I told my supervisor. He told me to alternate my thumb and pointer finger, so I did. By April I couldn't even bend my pointer finger, my thumb and middle finger and wrist were hurting and swollen. Also the seat belt on the truck goes from right to left, and the emergency brake is on the left side of the truck, so my left wrist and thumb was swollen. By the way, I was not the only driver complaining. I finally told the company I wanted to go to the doctor cause I couldn't take the pain any more. I went to the doctor and was told I had tendinitis. I was put on light duty and did therapy. The therapy wasn't working, so they sent me to a different doctor who sent me to a hand therapist. Now it is July, so I have been on light duty since April, during this light duty, I am sitting on a chair that is like a bar stool for 12 hours everyday I worked.l. I started having muscle spasms from my neck going down my arm, and my groin area down my legs. I feel like I'm going crazy with all the pain every where. The therapist called the doctor because I was crying and couldn't take it anymore and told the doctor that the company was doing more damage to me than helping me. . She told me because there wasn't anywhere for me to rest my arms and my feet weren't able to touch the ground is why I was having the spasms. The doctor finally gave me something for the pain and told me the company disabled the button on the truck, so he was going to put me back on the truck. Now it is September and now they sent me to a orthapedic doctor who says I have carpel tunnel, tendinitis and a little bit of arthritis. He .gave me a shot of cortizone in my right wrist, it helped for a couple of days, then all the pain came back. When I went back he gave me another shot in my left wrist, that helped a couple days but the pain came back. What I want to know is if the doctor takes me off work how much does worker's comp pay? Also what can I do if he doesn't take me off work. It's been 5 months now and the pain I feel and not being able to do much is driving me crazy. I also went to my own doctor and she wants me off work but that would go under short term disability. I really can't afford to be off work cause I'm the only one working.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

I suggest you visit the Workers' Compensation Center and read Workers' Comp Benefits Explained. I also suggest you visit the Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission and read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to get a better understanding about this subject matter. For further clarification, you may wish to consult with a local Illinois Workers' Compensation Lawyer.

×
×