billy786

property damage by fire

My investment property was damaged completly by fire ,which started from adjacent vacant building.5 people died in my building including children.The buildindg was inspected few months ago and passed state inspection and also passed section 8 ispection 1 month ago. Fire alarms were working (confirmed by other tenants and fire dept) fire passages were open .I did every thing in my power possible to make my property safe for my tenants.

When the fire department came the hydrant in front of the building had very low pressure and they had to use the hydrant which was little further and that's how precious time was lost and by the time got the water it was too late.

I am afraid i may get sued by surving relative,i have other assests in both our joint( Me and wife) names.Will it effect my wife 's share too.

What should i do ,all of this happened because of somebody else carelessness.Where i stand legaly .

What does this have to do with traffic violations or non-injury auto accidents?

First of all, I assume this was rental property and assume/hope that you carried sufficient liability insurance. If so, your insurance will provide a defense for you in any lawsuit and indemnify you to the extent of your policy limits. Obviously, you need to report what happened to your insurer. Second, how a lawsuit against you might affect your wife's interest in your marital property depends on the laws of your unidentified state and the specific facts relating to each item of property in quesion. Third, if you get sued, you can discuss with your attorney whether it might be worthwhile to make a third-party claim/cross-complaint against the person(s)/entity(ies) whom you believe were responsible for the fire starting.

×
×