Amanda_08

Hair Salon liability waiver form?

Today I went to have my hair highlighted and cut at a salon in Mississippi. I have had it highlighted for over 25 yrs and wanted just the usual process that I always have, nothing out of the ordinary, just roots touch up. I am not from around here, but have used this salon before with no problem.

When I was seated with my hair in clips and the gown on etc. the hair stylist gave me a clip board with a form to sign. It was a waiver to any liability on the part of the salon if anything went wrong including: hair breakage, hair loss, allergic reaction, damage to clothes or injury to me including damage to the scalp and a lot of other things I can't remember - it was quite a long form. It also stated that I agree that the results were not guaranteed to look as I expected and the salon was in no way liable for any mistakes or adverse results.

I was uncomfortable, so I told the stylist that I had changed my mind and would rather leave. I said that I wasn't trying to be difficult with her and that it wasn't personal etc. if it was salon policy. She told me that it was state law in Mississippi that every salon must have you sign this form before they can color your hair or use any chemicals. I have never been asked to sign one before and she said that was wrong.

I can't find anything online that supports this, all I can find is that salons can CHOOSE to require clients to sign the form, but not that the law forces salons to do so.

So I am interested to know what is the truth about this before I go look for another salon.

(The salon was part of a large chain with branches across America, I can't find any information about this on their website).

Just as I have no idea about hair coloring technique, I strongly suspect that a hair stylist has no clue whatsoever about Mississippi state law. I also can't conceive that any state would impose a requirement that salon customers sign broad liability waivers. If you're really curious, I suggest you go back and ask the stylist for a citation to the section of the Mississippi Code that imposes this supposed requirement. I have no doubt that she'll be unable to provide such a reference.

I am a stylist/nail tech in Missouri for 25 years. I have never heard in any school, or this being a state board requirement or law. I am licensed in Missouri and Arizonia and any salon I have ever worked in, it was up to the salon to make this a policy. Usually we make clients sign this type of form if we are eigther a student practicing on some one. Or if the clients hair is overprocessed and still insists on services. But if you were just getting a touch up, then this would not apply to you. Sounds like you were about to be somebodies test dummy with seriously bad results. My advise is RUN and find another salon. Good luck

This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×