EDubble12

Workplace Death Threat

I received a mailed death threat at my place of employment. It is currently being investigated my the police, and appears to have originated from someone inside of the company I work for.

What kind of lawsuit if any can I file?

I want to sue the law firm where I work. I'm having trouble sleeping, and am suffering from anxiety, having to go to my job knowing someone there sent me this threat. Would this be a form of workplace harassment? Or do I have to wait till the police investigation is completed, and someone caught before establishing a case?

First of all, it's not clear what sort of evidence exists that threat (only one, right?) "originated from someone inside of the company [for which you] work." In your first follow up post, you claim to "know[] someone [with whom you work] sent [you] this threat," but in your original post, you said it only "appears" that this is the case. I'm not sure which of these is true, but you certainly shouldn't be suing your employer based on rank speculation. Second, while an employer may be liable for negligent acts committed by an employee acting in the course and scope of his/her employment, employers are not generally liable for their employees' intentional torts because such matters almost always fall outside the scope of an employee's duties. Therefore, even if reasonably conclusive evidence is developed that this threat was made by a co-worker, it is unlikely that your employer would have any liability (unless, perhaps, the person who made the threat is one of the partners of the law firm). Your employer might have liability if it continued to employ this person and you then suffered harm as a result of the continued employment.

In meetings with both the detectives and firm management, the consensus based upon certain content in the threat letter has led to my assumption. With respect to liability, the pain and suffering I am experiencing right now is REAL, and someone has to take responsibility for it.

In meetings with both the detectives and firm management, the consensus based upon certain content in the threat letter has led to my assumption.

Has a specific person been identified? If so, have the cops or someone in management at your employer spoken to this person? Does he/she admit or deny that he/she made the threat? It's not really relevant to the legal issue posed, but I have to wonder why someone with whom you work would threaten to kill you.

With respect to liability, the pain and suffering I am experiencing right now is REAL, and someone has to take responsibility for it.

I assume you meant to say "damages" instead of "liability." As for the last statement, no, someone does not have to take responsibility for your emotional distress. You certainly could sue the person who made the threat for intentional infliction of emotional distress. However, as I already said, there is no apparent basis for suing your employer. Of course, other facts not included in your prior posts may change that. If you were to sue your employer based on the facts alleged in your posts here, the court likely would grant a motion to dismiss or demurrer (as may be applicable in your state) for failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

All that said, you certainly can consult with a local attorney about this.

×
×