Sign in to follow this  
syarnell

Employee Liability

I live in SC, and work for a company home based in MI. I drive a company car for sales purposes and they just sent out an ammendment to the company vehicle policy. The ammendment states that my company will not be held responsible for any at fault accident in a company vehicle or rental vehicle. The employee would be responsible for any repair, replacement of the company vehicle and any other vehicles involved in the accident as well as any medical expenses.

\r\n

I have refused to sign this as I do not want to be held liable. They stated that if I refuse I will be fired.

\r\n\r\n

Is this even legal?

\r\n\r\n[This post has been\r\nedited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator] \r\n\r\n

Funny, but evidently you HAVE refused to sign it, so ... why didn't they just fire you? :)

\r\n

You'd need to discuss with a local employment law attorney whether as a matter of public policy it's unlawful to expect you to sign off on something that says you're accepting the policy/accepting that you'd take responsibility for such damage. I don't see SC law giving you recourse for refusing to sign the document even if the policy wouldn't be enforceable (because unless the damage were a willful act vs. accident, I don't see any employer recovering in court for such damages if you refused to pay them).

Aside from the fact that you presumably have health insurance that would cover cost related to an accident, the employer can't reasonably think it can get around workers' comp laws/action if the accident is on the job.