Sign in to follow this  
britt0211

My Brother was wrongly convicted.

Hello my name is***** and I am the sister to ****** who was wrongly convicted of a crime he did not commit. His "Ex Girlfriend" Lied and had him charged for accounts he did not commit and she will not confess to any of the lies she told. I am just wondering what I can do to help my brother. Him and I were Sheriff Explorers for over 2 years and served the community well. His goal was to be a Deputy Sheriff but after all of this I am doubting that could happen. If anyone knows what I can do to help, or if they know anyone that would be able to help me. Please contact me ASAP. I do not want to lose my brother because of the justice system.

My brother was wrongly convicted of child negligence and breaking and entering. We have text messages proving he was invited on New Years to a little get together. The ex girl friends little brother broke my brothers necklace and wanted to fight and wouldn't stop pushing my brothers limit, so my brother hit him once and after that another kid named Aaron starting beating up the kid afterward and yet they all blamed it on my brother. He has been in jail since New Years and now trying to convict him up to 20 years in PRISON! I NEED HELP!! Please!!

[This post has been

edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

britt0211 said...

My brother was wrongly convicted. . . . He has been in jail since New Years and now trying to convict him. . . .

Well...which is it? Has he already been convicted, or has he merely been charged?

Obviously, your brother needs the best criminal defense attorney he can afford.

As for what you can do, you can provide him with emotional support, you can help him pay for an attorney, and you can help him locate an attorney.

He's been in jail since New Years. Every month was a court date, and every court date the DA's were either on vacation or lost the case files. Today was his final court date and there getting ready to sentence him up tp 20 years in Prison. They don't have evidence so because of his past record of when he was 14 and that was dismissed. There trying to get him on anything they could. I've never had to get a lawyer before or an attorney. My parents have a public attorney and to me he isn't really doing anything but getting paid every week.

It is absolutely not clear in your post whether your brother has actually been convicted (you say "was wrongly convicted" in the subject line, then end with "trying to convict him"), or whether it's just taken an awfully long time to get a sentencing date. Once someone has been convicted, the next step is to file an appeal.

At any rate, the boards aren't the place to look for an attorney (even if we knew where you were). Whatever public defender your brother has would not be someone who works for your parents.

Naturally, an attorney would want to challenge the credibility of the witness if the only evidence is her testimony. She doesn't have to admit lies to be shown to be lying/convince a jury that she's not telling the truth. If there's no evidence other than her testimony, it doesn't sound to me to be a very solid case as to "child negligence" in particular (whatever that means). This doesn't mean that a prosecutor would drop all the charges or even any of the charges -- their function is typically to back up law enforcement even if they don't believe law enforcement did a proper investigation (happens ALL THE TIME, as does the conviction of innocent folk). Sad to say, but be grateful the brother wasn't charged with murder.

Even if the evidence is solid, if your brother has never been in trouble, then it's unlikely he would get 20 years.

-- "His "Ex Girlfriend" Lied and had him charged for accounts he did not commit..."

His "Ex Girlfriend" cannot file charges; charges must be filed by a government, most often by a prosecuting attorney.

-- "There trying to get him on anything they could."

Unfortunately for your brother, that is part of the prosecuting attorney's job.

-- "If anyone knows what I can do to help, or if they know anyone that would be able to help me."

If a prosecuting attorney truly filed charges against your brother based on no evidence or false evidence, that should be easy work for a defense attorney. If your brother is not satisfied with his public defender (which are usually experienced in criminal defense), then the family is free to dismiss him and hire another criminal defense attorney more to the family's liking.