Sign in to follow this  
questions_2012

Medical safety.

I am writing about Alaska. There are a lot of fishing industries in the state & most/all facilities processing procedures can cause bacterial conditions. And even with the usual safety equipment (gloves, goggles, gowns, etc) people seem to get sick quit often. Then you add-in the fact that some plants/processing facilities are operated by people from third-world countries that bring all sorts of sicknesses with them. (I firmly believe they should be quarantined for 30 days before they are allowed to work-but that's just my opinion) Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people working. Just don't be sick when you come to work.

However, if there is an out-break of people getting sick, is there a law that would protect another employee from returning to work until the situation is rendered safe; without any form of reprimand?

One person recently died after becoming ill from a viral, respiratory infection he got while working in the facility. Now a second person has it (the respiratory infection) & is being shipped out to the hospital. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks.

[This post has been

moved to the appropriate folder. -Moderator]

What does this have to do with bankruptcy, debt, or taxes?

questions_2012 said...

if there is an out-break of people getting sick, is there a law that would protect another employee from returning to work until the situation is rendered safe; without any form of reprimand?

That's awfully vague. I'm sure there are laws that could, in theory, apply, but it would take something pretty extreme, and it's not as though the decision is going to be left to each worker's subjective opinion about what is "safe."

questions_2012 said...

One person recently died after becoming ill from a viral, respiratory infection he got while working in the facility. Now a second person has it (the respiratory infection) & is being shipped out to the hospital. Is there anything that can be done?

You might want to contact the Division of Labor Standards and Safety (http://labor.alaska.gov/lss/oshhome.htm).