hollygolightly01

search of personal property by employer

Insons_insontis said...

Get a giant purse and fill it with rotted produce.

Seriously? I would expect better from a 4th grader, much less a person whom I presume is an adult. Maybe the poster should call his/her boss a "doo-doo head" also?

pg1067 said...

Seriously? I would expect better from a 4th grader, much less a person whom I presume is an adult.

What you expect or not doesn't concern me. Get over yourself.

As far as my comment goes,.. If my employer imposed a search upon myself and threatened my employment as leverage to get cooperation, then I have no problem imposing hardships upon them to conduct such a search.

Lets see how they feel rummaging through rotten produce to complete their search.

Of course, the employer is free to fire you for making them go through your bag with rotten produce.

Searching bags and purses upon clocking out is not an uncommon practice by employers, and in some businesses (such as a retail operation) if the company is not doing it, it would be in the minority. I would seriously doubt that filling a bag with rotten produce would give one "leverage" for anything except getting fired for insubordination. If that is the company policy and one doesn't like it, one should look for a job elsewhere.

Her employer is free to fire her for whatever reason anyway. My employer is not so privileged (ALPA protection).

It would be one thing if you took a job that imposed such conditions and you were made aware of those conditions before you accepted the position however, it's another thing when they choose to adopt such policies after you've worked for them. They risk losing valuable personnel.

In this case, the OP is clearly offended yet will likely comply to keep a job that she fears loosing in a high unemployment world.

I disagree with you where you suggest that retailers who do not perform searches are a minority.

Insons_Insontis said...

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you want to act in a juvenile manner, that's up to you. These boards, however, are for legal issues.

Insons_Insontis said...

Her employer is free to fire her for whatever reason anyway.

True, but as you must realize, your suggestion of the rotten fruit would tend to aggravate the employer and make termination that much more likely. After all, the vast majority of private sector employees don't have the union protection you have and can't afford to play these kinds of little games with their employer without consequence. If the employee wants to keep the job, then that's not a smart move. On the other hand, if the employee doesn't care about the job, the more mature thing to do would be to simply take the stand on the issue and refuse the search altogether.

×
×