Sign in to follow this  
mercy8

vandalism

My vehicle was parked at my workplace during my working hours. A unknown individual/individuals vandalized several vehicles in the parking lot. Whom ever flatten my tires and keyed the side of my vehicle. The unknown vandals keyed a name of an employee that worked there on all the vehicles and whomever left a animal hand wrapped in a cloth on my windshield. We have had several previous vandalism incidents in the parking lot and the employer has not tried to secure the area for safety. Would the company be liable for any damages to my vehicle during working hours?

Guest FindLaw_Amir

mercy8 said...

Would the company be liable for any damages to my vehicle during working hours?

Only way liability would extend to your company would be if you were charged a fee and placed the vehicle in a secured parking lot. Otherwise it assumed there is no liability on the part of the company and parking is at the risk of the person using the lot.

Hope that helps.

It's not clear what you expect the employer to do. They aren't liable for some third party damaging your car, unless they know who it is and it's an employee and they fail to put a stop to it.

Otherwise, this is matter for your insurance and law enforcement.

The key to sound employee relations is developing a culture

where you cultivate an environment where employees learn to treat and see each

other as people. Believe and Trust are the Most important things than creating

rules and policies. If the Employer himself is an Employee, he can rarely

sustain the Employee and Make them feel home and create great opportunities.

Thanks for sharing...

Fallen said...

They aren't liable for some third party damaging your car, unless they know who it is and it's an employee and they fail to put a stop to it.

This is wrong.

Depending on the laws of your unidentified state, it's possible that the employer's knowledge of prior, similar incidents and failure to take any action to prevent this sort of thing from happening could be sufficient for a finding of liability.

Of course, suing your employer obviously could create a rather awkward situation (to say the least), so you probably are better off making a claim against your own insurance coverage (assuming you carry appropriate coverage) and letting your insurer go after your employer if it believes it appropriate to do so.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

mercy8 said...

My vehicle was parked at my workplace during my working hours. A unknown individual/individuals vandalized several vehicles in the parking lot. Whom ever flatten my tires and keyed the side of my vehicle. The unknown vandals keyed a name of an employee that worked there on all the vehicles and whomever left a animal hand wrapped in a cloth on my windshield. We have had several previous vandalism incidents in the parking lot and the employer has not tried to secure the area for safety. Would the company be liable for any damages to my vehicle during working hours?

Did you resolve this issue?