LaborUnion

super-seniority

Are there any laws or NLRB rulings that regulate the companies use of super-seniority? I am aware that there are several rulings on how/when a Union can utilize it but would like to know if the Companies use is only defined by the collective bargaining agreement. (maine) Thanks

What is the distinction you're trying to draw between the employer "using" super-seniority and the union "using" it? This would be a matter for the collective bargaining agreement between the employer and the union.

A Labor organization can only protect Union Reps that enforce the CBA according to the nlrb. For example a steward could have super-seniority but the secretary treasurer can not be placed on the protected list. (requardless of how your cba reads) my question is: Are there any similar rulings for employers that require they justify who they place on super seniority (having key skills) or can they just put anyone they want on it, for example the bosses nephew.

Is there any law or NLRB ruling on how super seniority should be used in CT? Our CBA states that super seniority can be used during shutdowns & layoffs but it don't say how it can be used. Right now a steward that's only been working for 2yrs or less can bump an employee that's been there for 3 or more years during a shutdown or layoff. I was told that super seniority could only be used for representation only. Only one or two stewards on a day & night shift in each building depending on how many employees that is working. Is this right?