Sign in to follow this  
flabbergasted866

a safe work environment

Portage, Michigan.....Hi! On 42911 I was attacked by an employee in our office pkglot. To make a long story short, I did nothing unprofessional which is what the attacker is using as her excuse. There is a police report and charges being filed against her. I ended up going to the hospital because my figer swelled up like a sausage. On 50111 i received a message from my employer to come to the office for a mtg. As was with the attack I had not a clue about what was to happen. My employers told me they were firing me and when I asked why???????????? They kinda kept skirting around the issue. I said please just give me a reason and they made a couple statements about me being demeaning and too hardhanded with the employees oh and i was racist. To say the least I was completely blown away. When They promoted me to mgr I made absolutely sure that we were all on the same page as to what they were expecting and I upheld my end of the deal. My husbands company HR person said that she thought I had a case for wrongful termination. Just trying to get some info. Oh and they told me they had fired the employee who attacked me, however, I suspect that that isnt true after something I saw posted on facebook. I believe that since my attacker is responsible for 40 houses{cleaning} that the employer would lose a whole lotta revenue in firing her. As a salaried mgr I am expendable.

There won't be a law against them letting you go because they believe you cause waves, I'm afraid. Your husband's company HR person isn't a lawyer, I presume. "Wrongful" in a legal sense isn't the same as unfair. "Wrongful" in a legal sense would be if, say, you'd complained about someone sexually harassing you and they did nothing ... or simply because of your race, gender, religion, disability, age (over 40).

Ultimately, you can be fired for no reason at all. Is it a case of them looking for an excuse because you set folks off ... or just because someone doesn't like you -- perhaps either, both or neither. I don't see them having an argument to successfully contest the state awarding you unemployment benefits, however.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

If you have been laid off or fired recently, and believe that you may have lost your job for an unlawful

reason, you may have a right to bring a claim for wrongful termination against

your former employer. Legal remedies that may be available to you include money

damages. If you have been fired, you may have rights to severance pay, damages,

or unemployment compensation. In certain circumstances, you may also

have a valid claim for wrongful termination against your former

employer. Speaking with an experience attorney can help you understand

your rights and make an informed decision about how to proceed. You may wish to use the FindLaw Portage, MI Employment Lawyers Directory to locate local counsel. Many of the lawyers do offer a free consultation. Let us know how it goes.