ezeduzit

age discrimination

I am a 75 year old female living in Ca. and working for the Federal Government. I work from home and get monthly assignments from the LA regional office. A few months ago a supervisor "hinted" in conversation that other supervisors (we have none over 30 yrs) had an undeclared goal of "weeding out" older employees. During our discussion, she said, "why don't you just retire and take it easy, otherwise they are going to give you less and less work until you have none". Notably this organization does not "fire" employee's but make it uncomfortable to the point they quit. I filed with the EEOC on the basis of age discrimination. My end goal of the filing was to end this sort of hostility in the workplace and the continued pressure asserted to perform on a specific level in a situation which employees have absolutely NO CONTROL of. At the end of the investigation, I was presented with the full contents and offered the choice of 1) dropping the complaint, 2) challenging the statements of the supervisors interviewed by the investigator 3) requesting a hearing. I opted for a hearing. Now I learn that although the agency is represented by counsel, I must provide my own case or hire my own counsel. Since I was not originally seeking monetary damages, I am not sure how to present my case and went through the phone book and phoned employment attorneys. It appears that NO ONE will take a case involving the federal government and I have also found that the particular agency I work for is the only one with NO BARGAINING AGENCY. Does anyone out there that specializes in employment matters have ANY advice for me. I fully intend to follow this through as the demands made by this agency adversely affect many many employees, young and old. I really appreciate ANY advise suggestions or??? thank you, thank you, thank you.

If you hear of anyone stepping on their own tongue in an EEOC hearing, you'll know no one replied.

It is not clear whether you filed with the EEOC itself or your agency's EEO office. (You can also file with the state equivalent.)

"At the end of the investigation, I was presented with the full contents ...."

By ... whom? :) EEO office of your agency or ...?

"Now I learn that although the agency is represented by counsel, I must provide my own case or hire my own counsel."

Not sure what you mean by "provide my own case", but there's nothing weird about your needing to hire your own lawyer if you want one.

No one can walk you through this from here. Obviously, we can't know who you are calling, but it probably shouldn't be folks listed in the yellow pages.

"If you hear of anyone stepping on their own tongue in an EEOC hearing, you'll know no one replied."

Huh? :)

Fallen. Thank you for reply. Filed with agency's EEOC office. OCR accepted case. Received in mail entire "report of investigation" from OCR. Must represent myself or hire counsel (cannot afford AND unable to find counsel willing to accept case against EEOC) When able to actually speak with an attorney, as there was no monetary value, not interested. Actually used list provided by local bar referral. How many people required for Class Action suit ? "Stepping on tongue" means I don't have a clue what to do next or who to call for advice.

×
×