buddygirl3

HOLIDAYS OFF

I WORK IN THE CLINICAL DEPT OF A SOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY ROOM. EVEN THOUGH I AM SOMETIMES SWITCHED WITH OTHER EMPLOYEES TO WORK WEEKENDS, I AM SUPPOSE TO HAVE A PERMANENT SCHEDULE MON-FRI. I WAS TOLD BY MY BOSS THAT I CANNOT HAVE HOLIDAYS OFF IF THE HOLIDAY IN QUESTION FALLS ON MY DAY TO WORK. I WAS TOLD THE ONLY WAY I COULD HAVE IT OFF IS TO ASK FOR IT PRIOR AND TAKE PTO FOR IT. EVEN THEN I MAY NOT BE GUARANTEED TO GET THE DAY OFF DUE TO LACK OF "COVERAGE". FELLOW EMPLOYEES THAT ALSO DO WHAT I DO(BUT WORK IN THE OTHER DEPT) GET HOLIDAY LEAVE BECAUSE THEIR DEPT CLOSES FOR THE HOLIDAY AND THE ER IS 24/7. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS AGAINST THE LAW? I WORKED EVERY HOLIDAY LAST YEAR AS WELL AS ALL THIS YEAR(SO FAR).

Turn off the caps lock key, please.

Why would this be illegal? Obviously, hospitals and other such places need to be open 24/7, and no one has any legal right to have holidays off (unless you happen to have an employment contract with your employer that addresses this or you are a member of a union that has a collective bargaining agreement with your employer that addresses this). If you want to be guaranteed holidays off, then see about transferring to another department or find another line of work.

×
×