downhill

Pay reduction

My employer reduced my pay by 5% in February and then 22% this month. I have been told that it will be reduced again next September, by another 22%. Is this legal? Is there such a thing as wage descrimination? An unofficial poll indicates that the only employees affected were over 40 and have either been with the company a long time, or had negotiated a better salary than the average technician in our group. Is there such a thing as an implied contract - in that my wage was a definite amount per pay period, over a length of time. Did the corporation breech the contract?

Not unlawful to change pay, so long as you get paid min. wage. If you have a contract in effect until X for Y rate of pay, you're free to go after them for breach. Employment law doesn't work the way you'd like, I'm afraid. Understand the employer's free to fire you at any time, so you'll have to decide whether you want to accept the new compensation or go elsewhere. If you decide to stay after you've been told your compensation will be going down, you've accepted the change.

It's only natural that the older workers who've been there longer will be making more; they've changed what they think about how much the job is worth, evidently.

×
×