Nene33

No Sexual Harassment Policy

I have reported a co-worker for sexual harassment. He showed a pornographic video in my face, described another one and pulled my hair. He admitted to the harassment. However, our company (I work for a County) did not have a sexual harassment policy so my co-worker wasn't punished. I have filed complaints with the EEOC...but it can take up to a year to investigate. The County is trying to cover thier bases, but they aren't doing a very good job. I'm not sure if I should request a right to sue letter at this point or not. It's been 90 days since I reported the harassment to the EEOC. I can't find an employee rights lawyer to take my case. I feel like it's a slam dunk. I have so much supporting documents and even tape recorded conversations regarding the harassment. My co-workers are not supposed to know anything about any of this, however now 2/3rds of them don't speak to me! My supervisior doesn't. It's really messed up and I'm having a really hard time. My union rep won't even help me. Why??? Please, if anyone can recommend a good lawyer or any advice I would really appreciate it.

"However, our company (I work for a County) did not have a sexual harassment policy so my co-worker wasn't punished. "

There didn't need to be a policy in order for him to be punished.

"The County is trying to cover thier bases, but they aren't doing a very good job."

Not sure what that means.

"I'm not sure if I should request a right to sue letter at this point or not. It's been 90 days since I reported the harassment to the EEOC. I can't find an employee rights lawyer to take my case. I feel like it's a slam dunk."

Other than suing your co-worker for pulling your hair (which presumably caused no actual damages), I'm not sure what you want to sue for. It's not your employer's fault that this happened. Now that it's on notice, if it happens again, that may be a different story, but a single incident like this doesn't give rise to a legal claim.

"My union rep won't even help me. Why?"

Ask him/her.

"if anyone can recommend a good lawyer"

This board isn't for referrals, and you didn't say where you are, so we couldn't do it anyway.

×
×