Sign in to follow this  
tyketeach

Final paycheck

On Aug 31 I left my job of 21/2 years for what I believe to be unfair labor practices directed towards me. On 9/1 I sent a certified & restricted delivery letter to my ex-employer asking that he not mail my last paycheck . The pay period for this check ending on 8/31 and check being available on 9/8. I also wrote in the letter that I would contact him on 9/8 to set up a time that would be acceptable to both of us as to when I could pick up my check. On 9/2 I spoke to a ex co- worker, who's last day is 9/3(is also leaving for same reasons),she informed me that employer stated to her that company policy has changed and he no longer allows checks to be picked up, they must be mailed. He has done this quite frequently, changing policy (his right) but has not informed employees of these changes.I have not been informed of this change in company policy by ex employer, so my questions would be:

Without informing me of change can he mail my check even when I requested him not to do so? and If not what are my rights? How should I precede if this does occur?

It's not clear why you'd make such a request in the first place and why you'd care, but the employer doesn't have to comply. Employer doesn't have to let you know that it will be mailing checks as of X date if you aren't around. (Also not clear why you'd assume that such a letter would even be signed for by him before 9/8.)

You'd want to check with your state labor dept. as to whether perhaps it requires that you be handed a final pay check on the same date as termination (though if you walked out without notice, obviously employer would be off the hook there).

"How should I precede if this does occur?"

Why do you care if your check is mailed? :)

If you don't receive your wages, you're free to file a wage claim with the state labor dept.

Sign in to follow this