Sign in to follow this  
SPhoenix77

SCE Closed Account Transfer

So I got a letter in the mail today from SCE (Southern California Edison) saying they are transferring an account that was closed at my current address to my account. They say the account was from BEFORE August 30 2010 which was the date I signed my lease. Is this legal? And what can I do about this?

Please let me know if you need more details.

SPhoenix77 said...

I got a letter in the mail today from [the electric company] saying [it is] transferring an account that was closed at my current address to my account.

There may be a typo here. I don't understand what it means to "transfer[] an account . . . to [your] account."

It's also not clear why the date you signed your lease might be relevant here.

If you can explain these things, someone may be able to provide you with some information.

There may be a typo here. I don't understand what it means to "transfer[] an account . . . to [your] account."

It's also not clear why the date you signed your lease might be relevant here.

If you can explain these things, someone may be able to provide you with some information.

My apologies for any confusion. the electric company transferred a

closed account belonging to the previous tenant at my address to my

account with them. There was a previous balance on the account of $200+.

Also, I mentioned the date of the lease because it was obvious that these charges were prior to my move in.

So, what you're saying is that the previous tenant didn't pay his/her bill and now the electric company wants you to pay it just because you happened, fortuitously, to have rented a residence where some future tenant whom you don't know and to whom you have no other connection didn't pay his/her bill. Correct?

I'm not an expert in the California Public Utilities Code, but I'm not aware of anything that would allow a utility company to hold you liable under these circumstances (I've also moved a number of times over the past 20 years and never had an issue like this come up -- with the same electric company). Did the letter you received cite any provision of the Public Utilities Code (or any other statute or section of the California Code of Regulations)? If so, I can look it up and tell you what I think. If not, I would be inclined to write back and/or call someone and explain that there's no legal basis for expecting you to pay some prior tenant's bill. Did the letter say what would happen if you didn't pay the prior tenant's bill?

pg1067 said...

So, what you're saying is that the previous tenant didn't pay

his/her bill and now the electric company wants you to pay it just

because you happened, fortuitously, to have rented a residence where

some future tenant whom you don't know and to whom you have no other

connection didn't pay his/her bill. Correct?

I'm not an expert in the California Public Utilities Code, but I'm

not aware of anything that would allow a utility company to hold you

liable under these circumstances (I've also moved a number of times over

the past 20 years and never had an issue like this come up -- with the

same electric company). Did the letter you received cite any provision

of the Public Utilities Code (or any other statute or section of the

California Code of Regulations)? If so, I can look it up and tell you

what I think. If not, I would be inclined to write back and/or call

someone and explain that there's no legal basis for expecting you to pay

some prior tenant's bill. Did the letter say what would happen if you

didn't pay the prior tenant's bill?

You are correct. The electric company added the previous tenant's outstanding balance to my monthly bill. The exception is the previous tenant is someone I did know, but I did not live with them. Sorry if this is TMI but they were an acquaintance who told me they were moving at the end of August and they put me in touch with their, now former landlord.

There are no Public Utility Codes listed on the letter at all. Also, there is no mention about consequences if I do not pay the prior tenant's bill. They simply mentioned they added it to my bill.

I'd make a phone call and ask for an explanation as to why the company believes you should be liable for this person's unpaid bill. It's going to take more than merely knowing this person to hold you liable for his debt.

What's the update on this topic?

I just received the same Closed Account Notice of Transfer (Form 14-592) from SCE. I bought a house last July 2015 and little did I know, there was unpaid electrical bill amounting to $677 made by the previous owner from Feb to June 2015. SCE will transfer the unpaid amount made by the previous tenant to my account and hold me liable. I don't even know those people and my old house is 85 miles away. This is nuts! 

SCE asked me to provide proof of residency from Feb-Jun 2015. But all these docs and utility bills were discarded during the move, 2 years ago. According to them MLS, Escrow, title, closing docs will not established proof of my previous residence! This is so stressful and freaking me out all day searching for any docs to provide.

Any class action suit? I wanna be first in the list!

On 8/8/2017 at 9:24 PM, Koolit said:

What's the update on this topic?

This thread is nearly seven years old.  I doubt the OP is going to reappear to tell you how the situation was resolved.

I bought a house last July 2015 and little did I know, there was unpaid electrical bill amounting to $677 made by the previous owner from Feb to June 2015. SCE will transfer the unpaid amount made by the previous tenant to my account and hold me liable.

Please take note of the two words I highlighted above and clarify what you mean.

Any class action suit?

Class action suit against whom?  For what?

I wanna be first in the list!

What list?

First off my online research for SCE (Southern California Edison) "Closed Account Transfer of Notice" brought me here. And I was so glad knowing I was not alone who received the same notice. The problem is, I couldn't find any resolution on what others did or how they addressed the issue. Also, I would assume there maybe some sort of class action suit filed against SCE by other consumers who are in the same boat as me. 

Anyway, SCE sent me the notice as mentioned above with their intentions to hold me liable for the unpaid electrical bills made by the previous tenants prior to SCE turning on the electrical service to me at this residence in 2015. The uncollected bills has a customer account number which is different from my own SCE account number. SCE when called, would not disclose to me the rightful owner of the account number who owes them $677 which was made at this address a few months prior to me buying the house in 2015. Instead, SCE issued a notice of transfer addressed to me with intent to merge the questionable account number with my account number (by Aug xx, 2017) and hold me responsible since I now live in the same address. 

I called SCE 4 times with regards to the content of the notice and it's entirety. Conversations from those calls were recorded accordingly on my end. The SCE billing manager agreed that the customer account on the notice did not match with my SCE account number. She, the manager cannot explain why I should be liable for the uncollected bills made by others prior to their Company turning on the service to me at this address. The manager added, that she has to email her team, demand for an explanation and she'll get back to me in 2-3 days. Well, 3 business days went by and I have yet to receive the call.

Now I am reaching out for help because I would like to know where I stand if I declined to pay SCE for the unpaid amount owed to them by others. I have an excellent credit ratings and certainly will not let SCE destroyed that for no fault of mine. What do you think I should lawfully do to address this issue? Thank you so much in advance.

14 hours ago, Koolit said:

I would assume there maybe some sort of class action suit filed against SCE by other consumers who are in the same boat as me.

I don't know why you'd assume that, but I assume that, if such a suit existed, you could find information about it by googling.

14 hours ago, Koolit said:

The manager added, that she has to email her team, demand for an explanation and she'll get back to me in 2-3 days. Well, 3 business days went by and I have yet to receive the call.

So...you call her back.  You also need to check into the appropriate procedures for disputing a bill.  I assume you can find information about that at the PUC's web site.

Same Thing going on with me. If they cant collect from last owner what gives them the right to charge me and  waste my time sending them confirmation from other utilities. Its not my account number the old tenant flat out told me he didn't pay them for the last Edison bill. He even showed me the bill where they charged him for the exact amount of the transfer now posted to my account and also saw a statement sent to him that state he no longer owes the amount and his account balance is $0.... He didn't ever pay the amount, they just stuck me with it!  Total B.S!!!!!!!