a_Tick

Legal ID for alcohol purchases

I live in Tucson, Arizona. We have two different types of driver's license: a "vertical" license issued to people under 21, and a "horizontal" license issued to people over 21. I was issued my driver's license when I was 19 years old (so it is a vertical license), and it does not expire until I turn 65.

I attempted to purchase an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant tonight, and I was informed by the management that they are not "legally obligated" (their words) to accept vertical licenses as identification.

I am not familiar with legal nomenclature, but it seems to me that, according to the Arizona Revised Statutes Title 4, Chapter 2, Article 3, Section 4-241, Subsection K, any unexpired driver license issued by any state or Canada including a picture on the license of the licensee is legally acceptable ID.

Is anyone familiar enough with Arizona law to tell me if this restaurant was legally in the right, and if so what law or laws puts them in the right?

Thank you.

Your problem is that Arizona state law, like the law of other states, does not require that the establishment sell liquor to anyone. What the law says is that when the establishment does sell liquor to a customer, that customer must be at least age 21 and it provides an affirmative defense for the establishment that lets them off the hook from criminal charges or actions against their liquor license if they follow the procedure of checking the customer's ID to determine age. The statute lists the forms of ID that the establishment is permitted to rely upon. But if the establishment does not want to sell you liquor for any reason (other than illegal discrimination e.g. because of your race, sex, national origin, religion, etc.) it can refuse to sell it to you.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Your interpretation of the statute you cited is correct. Your license is, indeed, an "acceptable types of identification" for purposes of alcohol sales. However, the restaurant is also correct. It is not "'legally obligated' . . . to accept vertical licenses as identification." In other words, nothing in the statute you cited (or any other statutes) requires an establishment that sells alcohol to sell to any particular person, regardless of what identification he/she presents.

×
×