Sign in to follow this  
Bajaguy

selling homemade tea

I too am interested in this issue. I am located in Sacramento, CA and am formulating a non-alcoholic beverage that is an all-natural blend of vitamins and minerals. I plan to pitch it to distributors as well as direct to consumers through private retailers.

I have been working on branding/labeling lately. I've come across this guide by the FDA that should help you with your labeling.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/default.htm

Also, check out the USDA National Organic program. I am positive that if you're tea qualifies as organic the USDA organic seal will help you pitch it to distributors and retailers. It will make a world of difference in your marketing.

My next step after perfecting the formula is to contact some local catering kitchens and see if I can rent time to produce a few hundred of these drinks. My big concern is that I am a big chunk of information.

Here's how I currently understand the process.

1.) Conceptualize the idea

2.) Formulate the product

3.) Form a business entity

4.) Design bottle labels based on FDA guidelines

here's where I'm at.

5.) Produce batches of drink in commercial kitchen that adheres to FDA guidelines?

6.) Pitch to distributors.

It can't be that simple ;) I must be missing a lot here.

I also just came across this page here on the California Food and Drug Branch website.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/Pages/FoodandDrug.aspx

It lists all sorts of forms that might be applicable to us.

One particular form that might apply to you is:

CDPH8593 - Organic Processed Product Registration Application

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/cdph8593.pdf

Good luck.

I too am interested in this issue. I am located in Sacramento, CA and am formulating a non-alcoholic beverage that is an all-natural blend of vitamins and minerals. I plan to pitch it to distributors as well as direct to consumers through private retailers.

I have been working on branding/labeling lately. I've come across this guide by the FDA that should help you with your labeling.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/default.htm

Also, check out the USDA National Organic program. I am positive that if you're tea qualifies as organic the USDA organic seal will help you pitch it to distributors and retailers. It will make a world of difference in your marketing.

My next step after perfecting the formula is to contact some local catering kitchens and see if I can rent time to produce a few hundred of these drinks. My big concern is that I am a big chunk of information.

Here's how I currently understand the process.

1.) Conceptualize the idea

2.) Formulate the product

3.) Form a business entity

4.) Design bottle labels based on FDA guidelines

here's where I'm at.

5.) Produce batches of drink in commercial kitchen that adheres to FDA guidelines?

6.) Pitch to distributors.

It can't be that simple ;)   I must be missing a lot here.

Hello

I was searching online for some information about making and selling tea drinks and found your post.  You do have some valuable information.  I do have some question about how did you complete your labeling and the type of permit needed for selling to retail.

Any response will great.