sgfrancis

Reversed ATM Deposit

I've been a loyal customer of C**** B**** for a long time. At the beginning of January, I did two deposits to the bank. One was done through the drive thru window and the other was done through the ATM machine. I put $340.00 cash on the envelope provided by the machine and inserted it in the deposit slot. The ATM machine took my envelope, but neither it gave me a receipt or showed the screen asking for another transaction. I made the mistake of not going inside the bank and ask why I hadn't received a receipt from the ATM machine. I checked my account balance next day and the day after, and I realized that my deposit hadn't been credited to my account. On top of that the ATM machine had reversed my transaction. I went to the bank to know what was going on, and they filled out a form and sent it to the company in charge of the ATM machine. They told me that I was going to receive a letter from the company in seven days, but it didn't happen so I came back to the bank to complain about that situation. I received a letter in 10 days saying that they had sent a ATM technician, but the person didn't find any envelope inside the ATM machine supposedly. For that reason, they could not reimburse me my money. I've been in contact with a person from the Quality department who sent another technician to take apart the ATM machine for second time, but the person didn't find the envelope either. The problem is that I deposited my money and put it in an envelope, but they keep saying that they don't find the envelope. I don't have any proof that they sent any technician to check the machine. What I think is that they are trying to keep my money and are making excuses to do it. I would like to know what I can do in this case.

[This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

"The ATM machine took my envelope, but neither it gave me a receipt or showed the screen asking for another transaction."

Are you absolutely positive you inserted an envelope? Could it have fallen on the ground and you didn’t notice?

"I made the mistake of not going inside the bank and ask why I hadn't received a receipt from the ATM machine."

Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. $340 isn’t a lot of money, but it isn’t pocket change either. It doesn’t seem reasonable that you would just drive away and not go immediately into the bank and ask about a receipt.

"I checked my account balance next day and the day after, and I realized that my deposit hadn't been credited to my account. On top of that the ATM machine had reversed my transaction."

Again are you sure you actually put the envelope into the ATM? The only time in my experience I have ever seen an ATM reverse a transaction is when it wasn’t completed by the consumer.

".... The problem is that I deposited my money and put it in an envelope, but they keep saying that they don't find the envelope. I don't have any proof that they sent any technician to check the machine. What I think is that they are trying to keep my money and are making excuses to do it. I would like to know what I can do in this case."

Every ATM I have ever been to has a sign on it advising customers NOT to deposit cash via the ATM. This is to protect the bank as well as the consumer. It would be far too easy for someone to "deposit" an envelope full of cut-up newspaper and then go out and spend whatever they claimed to have deposited before the bank catches the error. Conversely, it would be far too easy for an unscrupulous bank employee to pocket the cash and throw away the envelope.

I’m afraid you just may be out of luck here.

×
×