Sign in to follow this  
fawn1984

college logos

8 posts in this topic

Is it against copy write laws to hand make craft items or glasses with logos from colleges and sell them at the flea market or craft shows.Also using canvas art with college logo not made exactly like the original on?

fawn1984 said...

Is it against copy write laws to hand make craft items or glasses with logos from colleges and sell them at the flea market or craft shows.

This raises a trademark law issue. The logos of many colleges are trademarks, and your use of them on the crafts that you sell is a use of the mark that would infringe on the rights of the trademark holder if you don't get a license from the school.

fawn1984 said...

Also using canvas art with college logo not made exactly like the original on?

How much different what you use is from the trademark would be important to determining whether you are infringing on the mark. But if what you use is a pretty close image of the logo in question, you're likely to have problems with it. Before you use it, have a trademark lawyer look at it and advise you about the risks you may have with it

fawn1984 said...

Is it against [copyright] laws to hand make craft items or glasses with logos from colleges and sell them at the flea market or craft shows.

Probably, but it depends on how exactly the items are made. It also would likely violate trademark law to do this, and any reputable flea market, swap meet, or show organizer will shut you down if you do this without having appropriate licenses.

fawn1984 said...

Also using canvas art with college logo not made exactly like the original on?

This isn't a complete sentence so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

The letters that I put on my glasses are not the same shape,font or any where close to the original college logos.I do not claim nor advertise that they any part of the national college athetic ass. Nor do I tell people that they are any thing but what is in my head that is what i put on them.I do not use the trademark "A" for my alabama things nor do I use the same colors of the original teams just some thing kinda close.I see people all the time out at the flea market selling hand made logos for colleges such as sweat shirts hats with just the houndtooth print with an "A" on it is that also against the law .If you own a business can you do it from the place you rent and have another business in?

fawn1984 said...

The letters that I put on my glasses are not the same shape,font or any where close to the original college logos.

It's obviously difficult/impossible to assess stuff like this without being able to see exactly what you're doing.

fawn1984 said...

I do not claim nor advertise that they any part of the national college athetic ass.

Huh?

fawn1984 said...

I do not use the trademark "A" for my alabama things nor do I use the same colors of the original teams just some thing kinda close.

Therein lies the rub to all this. How close is too close? Can't really say without examining the product. However, you obviously wouldn't be selling the product if it had no connection at all to the university, and it's the express or implied connection to the university that matters.

fawn1984 said...

I see people all the time out at the flea market selling hand made logos for colleges such as sweat shirts hats with just the houndtooth print with an "A" on it is that also against the law .

In my prior response, I said that reputable flea markets/swap meets will shut down operations that sell or apparently sell infringing goods. That said, there are lots of unreputable flea markets and swap meets, as well as many who think it's enough for them to be wilfully blind (it's not). So, the fact that you've seen people doing similar things doesn't necessarily mean they're doing so legally.

fawn1984 said...

If you own a business can you do it from the place you rent and have another business in?

You cannot legally sell infringing goods no matter where you do it.

Unfortunately, some things are difficult or impossible to assess in the message board context. This is one of those things.

Hi @gman64

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! To get the most amount of legal direction from our community, you may want to start your own post with this question (the topic you posted on was started 4 years ago). To do this, simply click "start new topic" at the top of the page.

The FindLaw.com Team

49 minutes ago, gman64 said:

Is it illegal to use college logos on something you make and sell if the logo is a stick on you purchased from a collegiate licensed retailer?

Not sure why you chose to resurrect a 4 1/2 year old thread to ask this question, but context is everything, and you provided virtually none.  Can you give an example with a little bit of detail?