Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

ada discrimination

Guest Guest

I have an 18 year old daughter with a learning disability. She will be a high school senior this fall. She has been employed for approximately two weeks at a local grocery chain. She was terminated yesterday from that position. I went in to talk to the assistant manager who told me her termination was because she "did not focus" on projects. He said she was enthusiastic and otherwise a good worker. Her disability is that she has trouble focusing. It is a very minor problem that she is taking medication. Do I have a claim under ada? Thanks, please help!

First--you wouldn't have a claim, but your daughter might.

Your daughter must be able to perform the fundamental responsibilities of her position with (or without) reasonable accommodations. If she needs an accommodation and the employer denied a request for an accommodation that is reasonable, then your daughter may have an ADA claim. However, an employer need only accommodate a disability that is known to the employer and for which an accommodation has been requested.

Was an accommodation requested that would enable your daughter to perform her job? If so, and it was reasonable, then denial by the employer would be disability-based discrimination under the ADA. An accommodation is reasonable if it wouldn't result in an undue financial or administrative burden on the employer.

Sign in to follow this