Sign in to follow this  
widowed_1911

Old Will

I live in the state of Florida

My husband had a Will made while he was married to his first wife (she has passed away a number of years ago) It is the only Will we have found. Everything was left to her and their 3 sons. This Will was made in the state of North Carolina. We married in the state of Florida and lived here also. What rights do I have in the state of Florida? I have heard of Widows Rights, Doers Law and do not know what they are. Can you help me with this? Also his home in North Carolina was sold before he died, do I have any right to some of that money? He had a savings account that had his name and one of his sons name on it, the son took all the money? There was a checking account with his son, my husband and myself, the son also took this money? I am being told these things are outside of the estate.

Thank you for your help.

You need to be consulting with a Florida probate attorney as soon as possible so he can evaluate your rights as a surviving spouse, and you DO have rights as such. Is it possible that the son somehow got power of attorney to handle his father's financial affairs? Tell your attorney about everything that has happened so he can attempt to straighten some of it out--the checking account that had your name on it along with your husband's and son's names perhaps should not have been given to him even if he had POA and your attorney needs to look into that--that money should not have been paid out without your signature as joint account co-owner.

I would agree with knort4, and suggest that you speak with a Florida probate attorney sooner rather than later.

You can find a Florida probate attorney by using FindLaw's Lawyer Directory. Many of the lawyers listed even offer free consultations, so there's no harm in making a few calls. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.